Shower Thoughts

At the end of ‘Wreck It Ralph’, Princess Vanellopy, in a stereotypically American populist move, effectively abdicates her throne and declares her realm a constitutional democracy. Then she declares herself president.

THAT’S NOT HOW DEMOCRACY WORKS, PRINCESS!

ALSO YOU’RE PRINCESS, NOT QUEEN! YOU DON’T KNOW HOW MONARCHY WORKS EITHER!

'Do to others what you'd have them do to you' is all very well as moral advice, but what if I wanted somebody to punch me?
:O This is indeed a good question Faust! (also very fitting name for the question too :3 nods in german )

I think it should still apply as long as your first punch doesn't knock their lights out.

• Haha
Reactions: Bunny Lvr
Extremely rich people often get away with criminal behaviour because they can pay off any fine, so how about this as a new law:

Any sentence involving a fine in excess of twice the average yearly salary for the country in which it occurs must be accompanied by mandatory jail time, but only if the amount of the fine is less than 20% of the accused’s net worth.

Oh I do like that one Faust! I wonder if there's an exploitative downside to it. I guess it depends how long the jail time would be compared to the fine in of itself.

Reactions: Bunny Lvr
Extremely rich people often get away with criminal behaviour because they can pay off any fine, so how about this as a new law:

Any sentence involving a fine in excess of twice the average yearly salary for the country in which it occurs must be accompanied by mandatory jail time, but only if the amount of the fine is less than 20% of the accused’s net worth.
This is exactly why over here fines don't have fixed amount but are scaled according to your income. I was honestly surprised to hear it's not like that everywhere.

This is exactly why over here fines don't have fixed amount but are scaled according to your income. I was honestly surprised to hear it's not like that everywhere.

It should be. I mean, for anyone making over a million dollars annually for example, a $400 traffic ticket might as well be a nickle owed to a library! Money is not a deterrent to those that have money, but it sure keeps everyone ELSE down. 100% by design as the rich makes the rules...and they decided that punishments should be the one thing they DON'T have to worry about.

It's like a vegetarian insisting that they should not be allowed to attend RIBFEST as punishment for something. Of course they'd say that, the "punishment" wouldn't affect them one way or the other!

Reactions: Yastreb
Isn't it amazing when something becomes so powerful that we start describing it as an action?

Think about it. Let's assume you have an object like a computer program that sorts stuff, called "google". At this stage of the game "google" is a NOUN...the name of the location in cyberspace and the name of the company and object/program. It then becomes a popular site for those that like to look for stuff. So popular that people literally stop saying they're "going to Google to search for it"...and instead shortcut it to "I'm just going to Google it..."...transforming the site NOUN to now the active ACTION. The object how now become a VERB. It's shifted states simply by global convenience and consensus.

On the opposite side of things, one used to use a PHONE (noun) to PHONE (verb) someone when all you could do with a PHONE was PHONE someone...but now the PHONES (noun) have become so multifunctional that nobody usually says they're gonna PHONE (verb) someone anymore...they say they're gonna "CALL" them, because they use their PHONE (noun) for literally everything else as well...when before the PHONE could only PHONE so one could safely interchange the two words PHONE (verb) and CALL (verb). Not anymore. Now your phone is a camera. "phoning" them could simply mean taking a selfie with them linguistically.

That means that an object can become so powerful that they transcend the nature of grammar itself, Or I need more sleep this afternoon. Either way, cool!
(which come to think of it "cool" also used to be an adjective but is now a noun describing a state of being. Sweet! Oh crap, same deal...it's everywhere!)

Users who are viewing this thread