1. Guest, due to an issue with the agelock we had to redo the whole system, if you did not get your access yet, please wait up to an hour to receive it, if you haven't still gotten it afterwards, please PM dopy.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Using yahoo mail? Some of you have been flagging us as spam, hence mails sent to a yahoo email account will no longer be delivered for an undisclosed time. Please consider using a different email host if you really need those emails.
    Dismiss Notice

All about anime

Blödhgarm Oct 4, 2016

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blödhgarm

Blödhgarm dddddd

Species:
    Lycan
    Credits:
    I noticed that there wasn't really much of a place to talk about anime. So I figured that I would make a Thread for it.

Here, you can share and talk about your favorite anime...be it from digital media to manga. Feel free to share and talk about your most favorite of anime. Who knows, there may be someone out there who likes some of the anime that you do.

I will start things off.

Some of my favorite anime include: Spice & Wolf and Kekkaishi. I use to watch anime when I was younger like Dragon Ball Z, Zoids, and Pokemon...but I didn't really get the whole "anime" meaning. Then life got complicated and I sorta fell out of the whole anime thing. Then one night while at a buddies place, I ended up seeing an episode Kekkaishi.

I want to say it was like the 2nd or 3rd episode where the main characters had to fight this cute but mean ice fox monster. Being that it was a very early episode, I hadn't missed much of the main story. And I was hooked. I ended up watching Kekkaishi several times through, all 50+ episodes (it isn't a very long running show) though I wish there were more because it was such a great show.

Once I was back into anime, I watched several shows like Deadman Wonderland, Black Lagoon, and Durarara. I decided to branch out and see what anime I could find that wasn't currently airing on "Toonami" at the time and I ended up finding a wonderful gem called Spice & Wolf.

And from the first episode, I was snagged. Spice & Wolf was such an amazing show that I think is still running today. I know they were in their 3rd season with the first 2 season having full English dubs. The series itself was amazing since it wasn't a very action packed anime compared to what I had been watching. It was rather slow paced with a little action scattered through out wrapped up with a rather pleasant love story. In the end, it was a nice change of pace that I enjoyed immensely.

In the end, I started getting into the manga. As of right now, I have the first 2-3 volumes of Spice & Wolf, the first volume of Black Lagoon and like the first 5-8 volumes of Kekkaishi.

But I think I will take a break from talking and let someone else share their favorites.

2. Elementis

Elementis Member

Species:
    Human
    Credits:
    I watched the 2016 version of BERSERK lately, out of sheer curiosity. It was depraved, masochistic and full on death-gore-metal action with good story that seamlessly brought everything together.

Think Dark Souls Meets the animation of Iron Man Adventures.

[​IMG]

3. BennyJackdaw

BennyJackdaw Member

Species:
    GiantRat
    Credits:
    I don't watch a lot of anime anymore. Like most media, it's kind of become mostly "Humans VS Everything else," which I've honestly been trying desperately to get away from. I would love to see something with a non-human protagonist or ally to the main protagonist. ...Though out of all the animes I have seen, none really come to mind as having one.

Despite this, I did watch a lot of Cowboy Beebop and Gunstar Heroes.

Blödhgarm likes this.
  4. Blödhgarm

Blödhgarm dddddd

Species:
    Lycan
    Credits:
    Cowboy Bebop is friggin' awesome. I don't think I have heard of Gunstar Heroes.

5. Kariah

Kariah Active Member

Species:
    Bat
    Credits:
    I've been watching the Phoenix Wright anime and it actually follows the games pretty well

6. BennyJackdaw

BennyJackdaw Member

Species:
    GiantRat
    Credits:
    I guess it's a bit like Cowboy Beebop, but more campy and less gritty, might be a way to describe it.

7. Tuddy

Tuddy The Admin that likes Games

Species:
    Skunk
    Credits:
    I am, also, pleasantly surprised by how well it translates a largely static medium (the visual novel/interactive fiction of the games) into animation without feeling too cheap or phoned in. If you've never seen the live action Gyakuten Saiban film, I highly recommend you look it up. It's not quite the same as the games, but it does a very good job of translating its ridiculousness into live action.

Anyway, it would be fair to say that I quite like anime. I subscribe to Crunchyroll and, while I'm not exactly 100% up to date on every single show of every single season, I do make a good effort to watch currently airing shows. I just finished Mob Psycho 100 and would recommend that absolutely everybody watches it - the fight scenes are absolutely stunning, and the storyline takes the all too common character archetype of "socially awkward kid with a special power that makes everybody love him" and applies it to a more realistic setting - Mob is socially awkward, not confident and so bland that people actually forget he exists. He considers his powers a burden, and the girl he's interested in is absolutely not impressed - so he tries to teach himself to be more confident and physically fit to make up for his crippling social issues. It's a genuinely unique take on the most tired and cliche archetype possible... in a similar way to how One Punch Man, by the same author as Mob Psycho, does the same to a superpowered shounen protagonist.

Also, because Spice & Wolf was brought up - avoid the manga, read the novels instead! They're really enjoyable novels, even if parts of them read more like an economics textbook than a fantasy adventure series... though the economics of it all are actually part of the draw, for myself.

Blödhgarm likes this.
  8. PeacePaint

PeacePaint Active Member

Species:
    Whiplet
    Credits:
    I watched Spice and Wolf. It's still running? I must have only seen the first season before the others were released, or something.
    I also used to watch Naruto but.. the filler episodes killed me...
    But I really like Soul Eater still, and watch it sometimes. Also, Elfen Lied was good.

Blödhgarm likes this.
  9. Blödhgarm

Blödhgarm dddddd

Species:
    Lycan
    Credits:
    I never seen Spice & Wolf on TV, I only watched it online. I use to go to JustDubs before it was shut down. Now I use Watch Cartoons Online. I know that the first two seasons had complete English Dubs but I am not sure about Season 3, which they were still working on last time I checked.

10. Elementis

Elementis Member

Species:
    Human
    Credits:
  11. Skytech

Skytech Member

Species:
    Vulpan
    Credits:
    I have a good lot of anime but most is from a couple/few decades back including the original 60s Kimba the White Lion series and subsequent Jungle Emperor Leo plus Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix. Studio Ghibli will always be my most favorite. I loved the pastoral themes. Best series was Hyper Police. Used to remind me of Palladium's RIFTS: Japan.

Blödhgarm likes this.
  12. Blödhgarm

Blödhgarm dddddd

Species:
    Lycan
    Credits:
    Another good anime that has a great amount of actions is Black Lagoon. It's about a small group of merc that do certain jobs for the right price. It follows a young man who happens to be a businessman for a large corporation. After being taken hostage by the merc group, the businessman ends up finding out how his company truly sees him during a ransom call. His company basically tells him that he is expendable to the company, that they would give a good amount of money to his family as compensation, but that they seen his loss as acceptable and will not harm their company. The businessman ends up joining up with merc group seeing as they were going to ditch him in a place were he would most likely going to be killed.
    This series has a lot of action but has some really dark and shocking moments. Definitely not a show for kids, Black Lagoon is one of those series that have some good funny moments that made me generally laugh as well as some shocking moments that left me speechless. Has a lot of killing and strong language so if you aren't a fan of that, you probably won't like that.

13. Neulis

Neulis New Member

Species:
    Mouse =3
    Credits:
    Anybody watched Boku no Hero Academia, or read it? It's probably one of the best shounen style shows in a long time.

Tsuyu best girl 2k10

14. Blödhgarm

Blödhgarm dddddd

Species:
    Lycan
    Credits:
    Never heard of it.

15. SilverwindBlade

SilverwindBlade New Member

Species:
    Pegasus
    Credits:
    I used to be massively into anime when I was younger, back around the mid-to-late 90's especially. A lot of my part-time job money went on buying new VHS cassettes in the MVC (I'm probably the only person who even remembers those stores; Music Video Club) shop in the town centre near my college. I used to enjoy anime a lot more then, and it was my love of giant robots and sci-fi that got my into it for the most part. They were the shows and movies I was most interested in. I got shown other anime by a friend who was also into it, but was mainly more interested in the so-called 'comedies' and shows with super-powered and frequently supernatural teenagers slicing up people or monsters with increasingly improbably and unstoppable abilities.

I've gone off of it a bit more as I've got older, as I tend to find a lot of the protagonists are very similar, and the stories even more so; most anime I hear about are shonen shows cut from the same cloth, with the same boring main characters and ensemble casts that run for 50 squillion episodes. Even a lot of the mecha anime I used to enjoy have morphed into almost-clones of the same genre.
    There are still a lot of classics I go back to and absolutely adore, and there are some things from the old days I still dig up and see as well that surprise me. And it would be unfair to say there's not modern anime that isn't good too - I guess I'm just old and my tastes have moved on a lot.

16. Punnchy

Punnchy ddddd

Species:
    Husky
    Credits:
    Currently keeping up with Dragon ball super on my oen and trying to get caught up with yuri on ice with the fiance and we are having a little trouble with that. I am also working on everyday life with monster girls at times.

17. crypto

crypto Active Member

Species:
    Dragon
    Credits:
    I've watched a lot of anime series in my youth, from the original Dragon Ball to Naruto. Also, a lot of movies, like Vampire Hunter D, Fist of the North Star (Also played the old game based on it.), Akira... so many. As I've aged I've started losing interest in anime, especially video games. The over emphasis on emotions, unrealistically overpowered characters, drawn out battles and seizure inducing special effects push me away. I love realism and immersion, anime defies immersion and all realism. I liked Berserk a lot when I was young, but even now that has lost its flair. A lot of people say that I'm closing my mind off to a lot of entertainment, but I don't watch Game of Thrones either. I prefer RP and video games to shows and movies 100% of the time. I'd rather watch someone play a video game than watch anime. That's just my opinion, I don't care what other people do, but its just too weird for me to enjoy the majority of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.