1. Guest, due to an issue with the agelock we had to redo the whole system, if you did not get your access yet, please wait up to an hour to receive it, if you haven't still gotten it afterwards, please PM dopy.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Using yahoo mail? Some of you have been flagging us as spam, hence mails sent to a yahoo email account will no longer be delivered for an undisclosed time. Please consider using a different email host if you really need those emails.
    Dismiss Notice

Trying to flesh out a game i'm making.

BennyJackdaw Nov 27, 2016

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BennyJackdaw

BennyJackdaw Member

Species:
    GiantRat
    Credits:
    Alright, I've gotten a little game I've been trying to make for a while called Earthquake Warriors: Sumo League. It's a text-based game that uses dice, so it's quite simple. Still, I'm trying to flesh things out.

Endurance: How much damage you can take.
    Stamina: How well you can send out attacks.
    Strength: How much damage you can do, and how much you can lift.
    Muscle: How much damage you can absorb from Hits.
    Weight: Your resistance to grappling attacks. Heavier characters are harder to grapple.
    Leg Strength: Your ability to compensate for weight. (A common stereotype associated with sumo wrestlers is that they're surprisingly fast for their weight class. Not sure if there's any truth to that.)
    Intelligence: Your ability to connect with attacks.
    Reflect: How well you can block attacks.

Two characters, the player with the strongest leg strength goes first. They can choose to either attack or defend. Defense can conserve stamina and strengthen your ability to block till next turn, but you need to attack to do damage. A successful COUNTER, however, will give you a free hit on the enemy. A counter is preformed in the defensive state after rolling the highest possible number. Attackers also roll, and the highest number lands an unblockable critical hit. That's a short description of what I've come up with so far. Still haven't given it too much thought.

Each animal has their own strengths and weaknesses. A Pig is very strong in intelligence, so they will have an easier time connecting with shots. I tried to give four different personalities to the pig, but I kind of feel they could be more diverse.

Pigs
    Hail: United States
    Endurance:22
    Stamina:8
    Strength10
    Muscle:8
    Weight:12
    Leg Strength:8
    Intelligence:16
    Reflex:6

In the sumo league, bears possess some of the best strength in the game, and can deal really good damage to his opponent.

Bears
    Hail: Canada
    Endurance: 26
    Stamina:6
    Strength:16
    Muscle:12
    Weight:8
    Leg Strength:6
    Intelligence:8
    Reflex:8

Pinnipeds are very heavy and have very strong skin, so are resistant to all attacks, but don't have much leg strength, which will greatly effect their stamina, so use attacks wisely. While rather wrinkly, Pinnipeds are no less muscular.

Pinnipeds
    Hail: Greenland
    Endurance: 30
    Stamina:6
    Strength:8
    Muscle:16
    Leg Strength:4
    Intelligence:8
    Reflex:6

Wombats are fairly balanced, have good strength, heft and strength, not faltering too badly in any area, but not excelling either.

Wombats
    Hail: Australlia
    Endurance:20
    Stamina:10
    Strength:12
    Muscle:8
    Leg Strength:10
    Intelligence:10
    Reflex:8

Tapirs are fairly hardy, with good heft and tough skin, allowing them to take lots of hits, and they have fair reflex and intelligence. They falter in power, however, but can be used intelligently.

Tapir
    Hail: Brazil
    Endurance: 26
    Strength:4
    Muscle:12
    Weight:10
    Leg Strength:8
    Intelligence:12
    Reflex:10

Not surprisingly, Cats are very reflexable, and are capable of blocking shots other species can't. However, they lack the raw strength other species have, so they have to rely on their ability to land and block shots in order to win.

Cats
    Hail: Egypt
    Endurance:20
    Samina:14
    Strength:4
    Muscle:4
    Weight:8
    Leg Strength:12
    Intelligence:12
    Reflex:16

Tanukis would never be called glass cannons in any other game, but here they are. They have good reflexes and nice strength, but are the lightest and softest of the preset species, so they need to make use of their other stats to win.

Tanuki
    Hail: Japan
    Endurance:18
    Stamina:16
    Strength:10
    Muscle:4
    Weight:4
    Leg Strength:14
    Intelligence:10
    Reflex:14

Hippos are MASSIVE. They are the heaviest creature in the game, but are easy to dodge and hit. Never grapple against a hippo, use strikes instead.

Hippo
    Hail: Kenya
    Endurance:32
    Strength:10
    Muscle:10
    Weight:18
    Leg Strength:6
    Intelligence:4
    Reflex:2

Don't like any of these? Make your own character and distribute 90 stat points as you please.

Earthquake Warriors Sumo League is a simple game with a 20-sided die. To play, players must select between an attack or block phase. The player with the better leg strength chooses first. If they choose to attack, they can choose to strike or grapple. Strikes are powered by your strength, and deal half of the users Strength in Endurance Damage. Grapples are similar, but work off Muscle instead. They can, however, choose to block as well. Attacking requires Stamina, three for each. Blocking restores a point of stamina. There's also intelligence, which allows you to connect easier. For every 5 in intelligence you have more than the opponent, the higher number that's required for the opponent to roll in block phase, raised by one.

Blocking attacks is tricky. When your opponent attacks, you must roll five higher than your opponent, unless in block state, then you must only roll two. Your weight also works in tangent with the opponents muscle. For every five higher your weight is compared to the opponent's muscle, your roll requirement against grapples goes down by one. So a tapir with 20 weight fights a wombat with only 15 strength and tries to block an attack in block phase, the tapir would only need to roll one higher than the opponent to successfully block. In addition, for every 8 muscle your character is higher than the opponents strength, your roll requirement to block a strike goes down by one the same way. In addition, similar bonuses apply in both areas based on reflexes. For every 5 more reflex you have than the opponent, your block roll on all attacks goes down by one.

Besides the main phase, after three succesful grapples by one party, they can send an opponent to the edge, but it must be three consecuative grapples without the opponent pulling off a successful grapple themselves. Once a player has sent the other player to the edge, they can either use a charge attack or allow the opponent to come back, the later usually being safer, but the former has rewards. If they choose to charge, they can either use a fatal charge or a fake-out charge, while the opponent can use a strike or a dodge. A strike against a Fatal Charge and a dodge against a Fake Out Charge will always fail, and the opponent will be pushed out of the ring and be declared the loser, however a dodge against a Fatal Charge can turn the tides.
    If the opponent dodges a Fatal Charge, the other player must roll to stay in the ring. The default is five, however for every ten in weight the person has, the requirement goes up by one, but for every ten in leg strength, the requirement goes down by one. However, if the person fails the roll, they automatically lose regardless of their standing, so using this move when you're ahead is risky.

Fake Out Charges are less risky, but if the opponent uses a strike against a Fake-Out Charge, they have a chance to deal strike damage, and afterward can put themselves back near the center until the opponent pulls off another successful grapple. Players may choose Fatal Charge/Fake Out Charge and Strike/Dodge by shifting a coin in their hands in secret, then have both players reveal their coins at the same time: heads for Fatal Charge/Strike, tails for Fake Out Charge/Dodge.

If a player is pushed out of the ring or they lose all of their Endurance, they will be declared the loser. The winner then gains EXP depending on the opponent. EXP charts for leveling up are...
    LV2:10
    LV3:30
    LV4:80
    LV5:150
    LV6:240
    LV7:360
    LV8:500
    LV9:640
    LV10:820
    LV11:1040
    LV12:1300
    etc...

For every level to Lv12, a wrestler would give 10 experience when beat per their level. At Level 12, that jumps to 30 experience per level, at level 25 it jumps to 60, and at level 40 it jumps to a hundred.

For every level a player's character gains, they gain 5 points with which they can alot to their stats as they choose. But hitting LV12 will earn 20 extra points, Lv25 will earn 45 extra points, and Lv40 will earn a wopping 75 extra points. In addition to big stat gains, Lv12s, Lv25s and Lv40s will earn defense and attack bonuses. Against a lower level opponent, Lv12s will get a 2-roll bonus against someone. So a Lv11 would normally have to roll 7 higher than a Lv12 to achieve a hit, and the same buffs and debuffs are applied to his own defense. A Lv25 against a Lv24 or lower will have a 5-roll bonus. But a Lv40 against a Lv39 or lower will always block and always hit unless a 1 is rolled by the Lv40. Fighting a Lv40 with a lower leveled sumo wrestler is virtually impossible.

In addition, leveling up to a certain point will allow you to learn a new skill. Some will do more damage but cost more stamina, some will heal stamina and endurance better than block, but won't put you in a block state, some might even inflict debuffs.

Players can fight each other with their character, a randomly generated NPC opponent, or they can go out and fight along the streets against low leveled thugs. These thugs will fight you in groups, but will usually be much weaker and come with only a 10 sided to roll, and will provide 5 experience each. But with higher levels comes stronger and more thugs, but for every level you have, they will only give 5 experience per your level. Sometimes, an NPC wrestler will ask for your help in fighting a gang, where you will team up to fight a series of street fights and one boss made up of a high-leveled sumo wrestler.

...What I'm still trying to figure out, however, is balancing the strength and muscle to stop them from being overpowered. I'm not sure what match I should use to make attacks and damage work.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  2. Athear

Athear Active Member

Species:
    angel dragon or fox
    Credits:
    seems good so far

3. BennyJackdaw

BennyJackdaw Member

Species:
    GiantRat
    Credits:
    If anyone wants to play this game with me via PM they can. It could lead to free art, too. I'm doing this with someone at FurAffinity, and I have certain milestones set, and he gets a free drawing every time he passes a milestone.

4. Tom

Tom dddd

Species:
    Dragon
    Credits:
    Question: What is a Priniped? I've never heard of them, and nothing came up on google :/

5. BennyJackdaw

BennyJackdaw Member

Species:
    GiantRat
    Credits:
    Oh, sorry, I meant "Pinniped." It's the scientific order seals and walrus belong to. (There's also a Manatee head for the pinnipeds, even though manatees are not pinnipeds.)

6. Tom

Tom dddd

Species:
    Dragon
    Credits:
    Ah, I see. Coolio.

Given the naming conventions you've Used, it might be an idea to label them as Seals. Keep it all uniform.

By which I mean you've used "Bear" instead of "Ursine" and "Cat" instead of "Feline", so it'd just make more sense to stick with "Seal" instead of "Pinniped".

Just a suggestion. Ignore it or take it on board, I don't mind *shrugs*. Just trying to help :smile:

7. BennyJackdaw

BennyJackdaw Member

Species:
    GiantRat
    Credits:
    Meh, for bear and cat, it's because I used only one type of bear and cat, but for pinniped, I used multiple types.

8. Tom

Tom dddd

Species:
    Dragon
    Credits:
    So, How's it going? Made any progress?

I've thought of some different species and nationalities you could probably include if you wanted, although you'd probably be best working out stats on your own :smile:

9. BennyJackdaw

BennyJackdaw Member

Species:
    GiantRat
    Credits:
    Yeah, a little bit. I'm still playing this with my friend Been657 down at FurAffinity, but I'm still trying to flesh out the point of weight and muscle. There's supposed to be defense bonuses, but I keep forgetting to try and use them.

I'd like to hear some ideas from you.

10. Tom

Tom dddd

Species:
    Dragon
    Credits:
    Just ideas for species you could implement and the nationalities I thought best suited them:

England: Bull Dog.
    South Africa: Buffalo
    Siberia: Mammoth

I had others, but I've forgotten them ^_^; I'll add them if I remember them.

BennyJackdaw likes this.
  11. BennyJackdaw

BennyJackdaw Member

Species:
    GiantRat
    Credits:
    ...Well, I was planning on limiting the roster mostly to animals people consider fat, but those are some really cool ideas. I might make some presets with those ideas. Want me to credit you if I do?

12. Tom

Tom dddd

Species:
    Dragon
    Credits:
    Nah, don't worry about credits :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.