1. Guest, due to an issue with the agelock we had to redo the whole system, if you did not get your access yet, please wait up to an hour to receive it, if you haven't still gotten it afterwards, please PM dopy.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Using yahoo mail? Some of you have been flagging us as spam, hence mails sent to a yahoo email account will no longer be delivered for an undisclosed time. Please consider using a different email host if you really need those emails.
    Dismiss Notice

2016 is not killing people

Punnchy Dec 29, 2016

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Punnchy

Punnchy ddddd

Species:
    Husky
    Credits:

A lot of people have died this year that are recognized by society, however the whole mentality that "this year is killing a lot of people" is really flawed. I understand the jokes that George RR Martin is in charge of death this year, but I think that a lot of the people are dying, are doing so because of the choices they made earlier in life.

While people like bowie, carrie fisher, and Alan rickman will leave a memorable impression on me, I don't think there was some driving force that killed all of them.

2. Rakiya

Rakiya Member

Species:
    Black Liger
    Credits:
    I'm a little confused...
    It sort of sounds like your suggesting that;
    There are people out there who genuinely believe that the year 2016 is literally going around and killing people.
    I mean, I'm all for creativity and all, but last time I checked time periods couldn't really do much besides age people on a natural trajectory.

Admittedly I'm not really into celebrities, and I don't recognize even a notable fraction of the icons we lost this year.
    But if substance abuse is to blame for the deaths, why so many deaths in this particular year?
    More notably there isn't even that many considering how big the celebrity pool is.
    If you're just trying to draw attention to substance abuse... I guess that's a fair call, but a peculiar way to draw attention to it.

3. BennyJackdaw

BennyJackdaw Member

Species:
    GiantRat
    Credits:
    People die regularly. It's been that way for a while. 2016's been no different to me.

4. kibamoon

kibamoon Active Member

Species:
    Equine
    Credits:
    I don't believe people are genuinely blaming 2016 for the deaths of many popular icons in history. What I do believe, though, is that people are acknowledging that a lot of talent and integral people were lost this year and it was an unfortunate number of popular and well-liked celebrities. From the three you gave, I recognized all of them from my childhood. David Bowie - I remember hearing his music on the radio when I was a kid. My dad loved the songs from when he was a boy and we always listened to classic rock on the radio. Not only was he talking to Major Tom, but he was in the Jim Henson classic, The Labyrinth. I loved that movie; it was so unique and definitively Jim Henson. When that movie came out, the generation before us was amazed, and rightly so. David Bowie was already a popular figure, but of course he was going to sing and dance in that movie. He was the other half of an amazing piece.

Alan Rickman was a big piece of our childhood, and his death hit us hard, right where it hurts. He played Snape so well in the movie adaption of Harry Potter, and the movies were so familiar to kids in our generation that many of us still were waiting with anticipation for the last half of Deathly Hallows. I also remember him in Robin Hood and, more recently, Alice. He was a great actor, and someone almost everyone knew in grade school, even if you only knew his face when someone mentioned Snape.

Carrie Fischer, of course, played a prominent role in one of the most popular series of all time. When Star Wars was released, it was a piece of cinematic marvel. At the time, my parents said they felt like they were really right there with the Millennium Falcon. They loved it so much, they showed it to me, too, and I loved it. My friends loved it. I still love it. It was unexpected that she died, and unfortunate. She was supposed to play a big role in the new series, and it's a shame that the series lost the unforgettable princess.

I don't think the year is responsible for all these deaths. And I certainly don't believe that other people believe it's "2016"'s fault, but like most humans do, we like to place blame on anything besides what truly caused the issue. I also don't believe substance abuse was the cause of the majority of these deaths. Simply put, death happens. Be it a heart attack or cancer, every year takes people, as does every day, and every hour. 2016 just got the short end of the stick with more headline deaths, so it takes the blame.

5. Thal

Thal dddd

Species:
    Eastern dragon
    Credits:
    I agree, blaming a year for deaths is kind of dumb, even if this year was shitty.

Though, admittedly, I liked the GRRM joke. He just killed your favorite character. :>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.