A Very Furry Starfinder

Skytech

4 October 2016
Species
Vulpan
Slow day and I just purchased another supplement for the Starfinder RPG, a sci-Fi extension to the Pathfinder Fantasy RPG (based on Dungeons & Dragons 3.0). It hit me how many player races, both native to the now lost world of Golarion and from many interstellar worlds, are definitely anthropomorphs.

Brenner (Otter folk), Dragon kin (Dragon), Espraksa (Avian folk), Hanakan (Raptor folk), Ikeshti (Lizard folk), Morlamaw (Walrus), Nuar (Minotaur), Osharu (slug), Pahtra (cat folk), Shirren (insect), Telia (Turtle folk), Uplifited bear, Vesk (lizard) , Vlaka (Wolf folk) and Ysoki (rat folk).

Strangely, the Ysoki survived the disappearance of Golarion while the Catfolk and Tengu did not (they are races in the Pathfinder RPG).

Makes Starfinder a very fur friendly roleplaying game, While most are not available for official Starfinder Society play, home campaigns can feature any and all making for a diverse and exotic play groups.

Anyone play either Pathfinder and/or Starfinder? If so, furry characters a favorite choice?

Reactions: Alphaleader

Maroo

FP's resident brown bear since 2010
4 October 2016
Species
brown bear
Relationship status
mated
Not so much Starfinder, but years ago I have played (and GMed) HSD for a while, which too is full of anthros of various types.

Skytech

4 October 2016
Species
Vulpan
Full? I bursts with anthros!! Haven't played or GMed but love the concept and history.

Maroo

4 October 2016
Species
brown bear
Relationship status
mated
The backstory sure is something different.

Skytech

4 October 2016
Species
Vulpan
I've been noticing some Traveller aficionados have begun bemoaning races in the game, particularly in the Official Traveller Universe, are just people in fursuits. They wish the aslan (Leontine alien) and the vargr (gene engineered uplifted terran wolves) need to be more alien until they're unrecognizable as a furry. There are several other anthropomorphic races but get minor disregard. Thankfully many people love playing those two.

Maroo

4 October 2016
Species
brown bear
Relationship status
mated
Eh... don't remind me of those "professionally outraged" weirdos who are going around and sucking the fun out of various means of escapism by throwing around various -isms (such as calling D&D orcs "racist" and whatnot).

Skytech

4 October 2016
Species
Vulpan
One thing I've always noticed was how, overall, the RPG industry and community has been enthusiastic to the inclusion of anthropomorphic creations whether or not addressed as furry though some publications have cited furry connections. It definitely influenced me way back in 1979 when I bought the 1st Ed D&D, created player stats for feline and leporine races, and rebuilt a couple minis as one of each race.

Maroo

4 October 2016
Species
brown bear
Relationship status
mated
Yeah.. I'm currently running a Tabaxi monk myself. Well.. monk/rogue - soon to also be ranger and druid.