Cooking Bolognese a la bear

Maroo

FP's resident brown bear since 2010
4 October 2016
Species
brown bear
Relationship status
mated
I have meant to translate and post this recipe for a while now and kept forgetting about it. Not any longer.
Here you go, and i hope you'll enjoy the result.

Ingredients: (g= grams, kg= kilograms - since I am from Europe I am posting in metric here)
~2.5kg Tomatoes (minced or sieved - or mix thereof)
~250g Champignons (a particular type of mushroom)
1kg minced meat of your preference (I prefer beef since it contains less water)
~500g grated cheese (Emmentaler preferably, but any cheese for gratination will do)
~150g chives (fresh or freeze-dried will do)
Two fist-sized onions - or adequate number of smaller ones
One head of garlic (yes, this is correct. Not a clove, but the whole head)
Rubbed basil and oregano
Your preferred oil for frying the meat (I for one prefer either garlic oil or chili oil from Vom Fass - see my other thread here for that. Note: That particular garlic oil doesn't too too well with excessive heat, so caution is advised.)
black pepper and cayenne pepper (the latter can be omitted when using the aforementioned chili oil)
Sambal Oelek

Step one: Preparation
Peel and dice onions and garlic (do NOT use a garlic crusher, it ruins the taste).
Cut the chives if necessary (freeze-dried chives usually are already cut)
Cut the champignons into chunks approximately the size of your thimbnail
Pour the tomatoes into a pot, add onions, garlic, champignons, chives, basil and oregano

Step two: Frying the meat
Heat oil in a pan big enough to hold the meat and with room to stir as necessary. While frying the meat add pepper and cayenne pepper according to your preference in spiceyness.
Once complete, add the meat along with all the oil and pepper to the tomatoes and the rest.

Step three: Heat up the pot
As you heat up the pot, add the grated cheese one handful at a time. Keep stirring until the cheese has molten entirely and merged with the rest before adding the next handful.

Step four: Finishing touches
Add 4-5 heaped teaspoons of Sambal Oelek to the pot and thoroughly stir the sauce to ensure equal distribution.
If so desired, you can add more or less than the amount listed, depending on your preference for spicy food. The amount listed here should ensure a pleasant ticke in the back of the throat, but little more than that.

Once the sauce is properly heated (about 15-20 minutes) it is ready for eating. Due to the rather viscous nature of the end result spaghetti are not ideal in this case, however. My recommendation would be fusili or something similar.

Once complete, the sauce should look roughly like this:
Bild004.jpg

Maroo

4 October 2016
Species
brown bear
Relationship status
mated
Because of the mushrooms you mean? Semantics as far as i am concerned. Keep in mind, this recipe has evolved over the course of years into what it is today Originally it was just the meat in there. Then I experimented with adding the cheese straight into the sauce instead of adding it on top later, and then I added the mishrooms to see if/how it would work out in the end. And i liked the result so much that i kept it since. Heck, even some people who say they don't like mushrooms ended up loving it.

KameronEX

3 October 2016
a random Slavic country
Species
Deerie me
Relationship status
Single owo
No no, the main thing is that Bolognese is a meat based sauce which doesn't have much tomato or anything else in it. It's like 1:3 tomato to meat ratio. Anything above is a tomato based sauce which would be called Neapolitan not Bolognese. It's not really about the mushrooms or the chesse though they don't really belong in either nobody is going to stop you from doing it. It's just annoying when people call every sauce with minced meat Bolognese even though it is not.

Lastly there are better cheeses to use in a sauce like Pecorino Romano and Parmigiano Reggiano. Keep Emmental in sandwiches or use it on its own as a dipping sauce :P

Maroo

4 October 2016
Species
brown bear
Relationship status
mated
I see. However, I have been calling it such for a long time and don't think I am going to change that. As for your suggestion on cheeses, a valid point and something I might experiment with down the line. But as it is right now it does fit better in a constrained budget - which is more suited to the times we are currently living in with all the economic ..difficulties that we are seeing and will be seeing down the line.
Even this rather "cheap" version of the sauce does make my mare's eyes light up whenever I mention cooking up that sauce.