1. Guest, due to an issue with the agelock we had to redo the whole system, if you did not get your access yet, please wait up to an hour to receive it, if you haven't still gotten it afterwards, please PM dopy.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Using yahoo mail? Some of you have been flagging us as spam, hence mails sent to a yahoo email account will no longer be delivered for an undisclosed time. Please consider using a different email host if you really need those emails.
    Dismiss Notice

Furry and tabletop role playing games

Skytech Oct 17, 2016

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skytech

Skytech Active Member

Species:
    Vulpan
    Credits:
    Nobody can tell me anthropomorphic characters are not popular in tabletop RPGs whether homebrewed, created using the game's creation systems or integral to the game system. As popular as videogame systems are, the commercial RPGs still are strong in their own right.

For all those role players, is the inclusion of anthros in RPGs a draw and do you try have anthro characters when you have a chance to play? What RPGs are a staple for you for anthro characters?

I bought D&D then AD&D 1st Ed in the early 1980s. Played the normal human, elf, dwarf, etc. type but created a feline and a lepine race with stats soon after. Still have the greenputty sculpted figure for one of each race. Traveller, my next RPG and the scifi rival to D&D, already had anthros with the canine Vargr and leonine Aslan. Gamma World (1st ed.?) let you build mutant animals. For the last 40 years, during which time I discovered an up and coming culture called 'furry', I saw furry and RPGs quite often going hand in hand some even very proud to be furry games.

2. Thal Arkani

Thal Arkani dddd

Species:
    Canine
    Credits:
    I've heard of Ironclaw, but never played it. I've played Tavern Tales, which allows you be anything you want basically, with some limitations, with the traits system.

3. Skytech

Skytech Active Member

Species:
    Vulpan
    Credits:
    Ironclaw is great. Has what I will describe as a Three Musketeer atmosphere. There's also Jadeclaw for orient adventures. There were a couple more many years back that were 'historical' high adventure, Furry Outlaws and Furry Pirates.

4. Thal Arkani

Thal Arkani dddd

Species:
    Canine
    Credits:
    What can you tell me about Ironclaw? I'm curious about it. Does it have big swords in it? Well, swords that are long as the user is tall?

5. Skytech

Skytech Active Member

Species:
    Vulpan
    Credits:
    Check out Sanguine Productions' site for info and there are some downloads that help explain things. Think an anthro world in the age of musketeers filled with intrigue and high adventure action.

http://www.sanguinegames.com/ironclaw/

I have an excellent preview pdf that really describes the game and it's mechanics. It also appears as the Quick Preview sample on DriveThruRPG albeit as a smaller image. Wish I knew where I originally found my copy or knew if there's a way to post PDFs here.

6. Thal Arkani

Thal Arkani dddd

Species:
    Canine
    Credits:
    So basically, it's renaissance level tech. Sounds like it's something for me, since I like studying the renaissance.

7. Skytech

Skytech Active Member

Species:
    Vulpan
    Credits:
    Looking over the weapons section, the musket and the Wheelock pistol are the most advanced. The range of melee covers a lot of times but overall yes, it's renaissance though there is a touch of the 18th century.

8. Wolf Bain Skyhunter

Wolf Bain Skyhunter ddddd

Species:
    Wolf
    Credits:
    Know its not RPG, but what about wargaming?

9. Skytech

Skytech Active Member

Species:
    Vulpan
    Credits:
    Actually I would like to see a wargaming topic too but, honestly, it could be big enough to deserve a separate thread and help draw attention to itself. Why don't you fire it up.

10. Zekel_Raikon

Zekel_Raikon New Member

Species:
    Raccoon
    Credits:
    Gamma World is one of the best rpgs I've ever played. As you mentioned, you could have mutant animals as playable characters, but you could also straight up be a furry, i.e a human with animal characteristics. In fact, you could be almost any kind of mutant creature, including plants. I make furry mutants in that game almost all the time.

11. Skytech

Skytech Active Member

Species:
    Vulpan
    Credits:
    Shadowrun 5th Ed. has a supplement, RunFaster, featuring creation of shapeshifters (awakened animals that can shift to human) and SURGE changlings with a list of feature to create a plethora of anthros.

Any other RPGs with furry elements you fancy?

12. Zekel_Raikon

Zekel_Raikon New Member

Species:
    Raccoon
    Credits:
    Myriad Song, a space RPG by Sanguine Games, has furry-esque alien races you could play as, including the dog-like Towsers, octopus Ishato, and the spider-like Rhax.

13. Maroo

Maroo dddd

Species:
    brown bear
    Credits:
    Shapeshifters and SURGE were already a thing in 4th edition (for which I have been GM for quite a while).
    As for furry RPGs check out HC SVNT DRACONES or HSD for short. The entire system is basically about furries - both anthro and feral. And it also includes taurs, macro/micro etc. You can also find it at drivethrurpg.

14. Skytech

Skytech Active Member

Species:
    Vulpan
    Credits:
    I have HC SVNT DRACONES and the setting and history are fascinating. There's a thread for it over in Videogames.

Not sure if it's still available but Sanguine Games also produced Albedo RPG based on the old comic series.

SilverwindBlade and Alphaleader like this.
  15. Skytech

Skytech Active Member

Species:
    Vulpan
    Credits:
    Anyone here play the game systems for Palladium Games home of the Rifts setting? Many characters are definitely furry and the Dog-boys are iconic. They've also feature several others some tied to the Rifts multiverse plus the After The Bomb series that is furries ruling a Post Apocalyptic world and was a supplement to their Teen Aged Mutant Ninja Turtles RPG.

16. Alphaleader

Alphaleader Active Member

Species:
    Shape-shifting wolf
    Credits:
    Well, there's also the Mouseguard tabletop Rpg. It has more classic D&D elements, but it runs off the Burning Wheel Rpg system of old. I have the book myself, its very detailed and very awesome in how it supports the "Theater of the Mind" style of play.

You can check it out through this review:

17. Skytech

Skytech Active Member

Species:
    Vulpan
    Credits:
    Read the graphic novels and had to get the RPG for my own reading pleasure. I've been in a burning wheel campaign.

Alphaleader likes this.
  18. Skytech

Skytech Active Member

Species:
    Vulpan
    Credits:
    There are quite a few super hero RPGs on the market. I was a long time fan of the HERO system and Champions. In recent years I discovered Mutants and Masterminds. Both allow a great deal of character building.

How many have these or one (or more) of the other SHRPG systems and love to create fur based supers? Have any favorites? Are they in Captain Carrot type furry worlds or part of the 'normal' metahuman world?

My very first furry character created with a SHRPG was back in the early/mid 80s using Villains & Vigilantes called Nightbeast. Since then he has been reinvented for every SHRPG I own akin to being parallel world variations including a normal human martial artist somewhat ninja motif.

Alphaleader likes this.
  19. SilverwindBlade

SilverwindBlade New Member

Species:
    Pegasus
    Credits:
    I have Hc Svnt Dracones as well, I haven't got to play it yet, but like you, I was absorbed by the setting and the history. The game world is so incredibly rich, but without being so dense that it's impossible to fit your own adventures in. I really have to try and create a version of my character for that world at some point, as he'd fit right in.

I have the Albedo RPG main book and also one of the supplements too. The history and setting info are great, but the actual game mechanics are a bit wanting, especially when it comes to combat. I'm kind of glad I own if it only because it's something Albedo that was in print, and I got to buy it.

I've played a few furry characters in various tabletop games. I played a cat-man in one of the first properly-run and only fantasy games I played who was a warlock. I've also played a couple of others; I played a female cheetah assassin in the same system too, and she was incredibly smart as well as being tremendously lethal.
    I play an ongoing tabletop-through-skype game with quite a large group of friends, based in a home-brew setting. In that setting there's a couple of loosely-anthro races who are a big part of the sci-fi universe we play in, and are very well established as part of the canon.

Alphaleader likes this.
  20. Skytech

Skytech Active Member

Species:
    Vulpan
    Credits:
    It's been a long time since I looked at it but there was an RPG from the 80s or 90s called The Justifiers. Universe is a dangerous place so humans create intelligent anthropomorph animals to go out and fight the alien menaces for them. Anyone else know this one? I'm at work right now so I can't reach over for the book and get details.

Not sure about the latest Star Wars RPG but West End Games and Wizards of the Coast versions featured a lot of anthropomorphic aliens, I swear especially feline folk.

OH! Here's one that popped into my head, World tree! Fully anthro world that happens to be a.... world tree. Several standard mammalian species of furries plus an insect and a terran octopus race.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tree_(role-playing_game)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.