1. Guest, due to an issue with the agelock we had to redo the whole system, if you did not get your access yet, please wait up to an hour to receive it, if you haven't still gotten it afterwards, please PM dopy.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Using yahoo mail? Some of you have been flagging us as spam, hence mails sent to a yahoo email account will no longer be delivered for an undisclosed time. Please consider using a different email host if you really need those emails.
    Dismiss Notice

~furry art and artists~

Rakiya Dec 28, 2016

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rakiya

Rakiya Member

Species:
    Black Liger
    Credits:
    Well I've recently been trying to get into the whole furry fandom via art. I honestly haven't had that much luck with roleplays, and considering how there's no worthwhile furry conventions or gatherings where I live, the whole fursuiting thing seems a bit less exciting...

Anyway, I was wondering how common it is for people here to actively draw their own character, or have it commissioned? Personally I don't have anything against people who grab another's fursona and use it for their own in terms of roleplay, but I still feel as if it lacks the personal touch and connection. Whereas other times, a simple description just isn't enough to stimulate the imagination.

I'm also finding the whole smutty commissioning/Your-Character-Here thing to be rather enjoyable both in terms of adult themes and more generally acceptable ones. I know that FA has a bad reputation in terms of its management, but I don't see that as legitimate reasoning to avoid the many talented artists who offer their services on the site.

So yeah, just wondering if I'm alone in my newfound obsession for furry art~

2. Marc

Marc dddd

Species:
    Tiger
    Credits:
  3. Rakiya

Rakiya Member

Species:
    Black Liger
    Credits:
    Haha, thanks for the comment Thal

I'm not really looking for people to commission though, and was rather hoping to meet other furs who were into the buying/drawing aspect of the fandom. Perhaps finding a friend or two to splurge with from time to time.

I've come across a few people on FA and InkB, but it seems to be a pretty 'adult-shop' oriented deal there, where it';
    Go in, Buy, Get out.

4. Sierra

Sierra Member

Species:
    Tigerwolf
    Credits:
    Well, I'm technically not into the drawing side of things, but I do a bit of colour work and have quite a few art pieces of various characters of my own. Most artists keep their business separate from personal life (And end up with a very very large number of people that commission them or try to commission them). It's also really common in the furry community for people to become friends with an artist or someone with money just to try and get free stuff or benefits, which adds another barrier between artists and the rest of the community.

With that aside, I don't do commissions or anything like that for people anyway so I don't really have that problem xD

5. Alerion

Alerion New Member

Species:
    Mutt Dog
    Credits:
    Honestly it was the art of the fandom that drew me in. I was a hardcore weeb before so I only ever saw fanart of these already made characters, then I got introduced the furry fandom and fell in love with this mass multitude of original characters.

Personally I love drawing my sona in situations I'd otherwise never get to experience, I see the art as a huge part(if not the biggest part) of the fandom, without definite art. Everyone's sona would different to one person than the next, not saying that is a bad thing however.

But the art is the best way to define what you are and how you interpret yourself.

6. Raphial Hebert

Raphial Hebert Member

Species:
    White wolf
    Credits:
    I have tons of characters; I personally draw my own artwork and accept commissions. I rarely ever get art from other people; always trying to hone my skill as an artist.

Here's one of my many images: (This is my fursona) http://furrypile.co.uk/media/raphial-mcduffy.386/

7. Skytech

Skytech Active Member

Species:
    Vulpan
    Credits:
    I can say it was the art that 'drew' me into the fandom as furry comics were becoming big in the late 70s/early 80s. I had already been drawing anthropomorphic characters long before this time but now it gave me focus as I soon learned there was something called 'furry fandom'. Years later, I was doodled a character inspired by a comic called Rufus the Red. The character later morphed into an anthro fox working at my job. Didn't take long I and many others had him as my recognized avatar that spread to the fandom. So the art and furry are conjoined for me.

8. Whitescar

Whitescar Active Member

Species:
    Cheetah
    Credits:
    Hmm, can't comment much on how common it is, but I think that quite a few people doodle their characters.

However, many artists on FA are overpriced. You may have better luck searching DA if you want a picture commissioned. A larger pool and less-specialized means you have a better bargaining position. I've seen art on FA reaching absurd prices 120$ or more for what I'd say is around maybe 70-80$ value. Especially YCHs are a rip-off most of the time.

Disclaimer: Last year I spent around 1k$ on commissions.

9. Sapphire

Sapphire dddddd

Species:
    Vulpine
    Credits:
    You get paid too much. ;)

10. Imaginationland

Imaginationland New Member

Credits:
    I always drew people and animals, in many different art styles, (especially anime), and I remember when I first ran into furry art and though "Wow, this is so unique! I wanna try this"! There are so many different ways to create a humanistic animal, from bi-peds to most humanoid. There's also a lot of stuff to base off, too.
    Currently I'm practicing a lot of my drawings and constantly coming up with different designs with different animals! (Creatures like hippos and elephants are a bit tricky, but Disney helps give me some leverage)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.