Gaming Peripherals

16 October 2019
Oklahoma, United States
Species
Spotted Hyena
Relationship status
Single (seeking; bisexual/pansexual)
I don't know so much about others, but for me, the peripherals we use to play games with - controllers, keyboards, mice, ect - is a subject that interests me quite a lot. To some, a controller is just a controller, but overtime they've come to be more to me. And this somewhat stems from me having had rage issues in games in the past, and having broken my share of controllers, having tried various ones, and fixing broken ones has become somewhat of a hobby to me. I like stripping them apart and seeing what's going on inside, and fixing them while I'm at it. I've grown to appreciate ones that are a hodge podge of parts, having had some in the past that were like that because I didn't have the money to replace broken stuff, and used whatever I could. I've had controllers that were held together by duct tape, if that says anything. And that said, I've grown to take amusement in the aesthetic. I enjoy seeing and making ones that are just a complete piece of crap, and I especially like making things fit or work together that aren't supposed to. The challenge is interesting to me, the results strangely amusing. And...satisfying. Mostly just the fact they work.

Aaaanyway. I'm predominantly a console gamer, and so I mostly center around controllers, but anything you interact with to play a game will do. As for controllers, obviously I have a bunch of aftermarket ones, given my tendency to break stuff and either need something new entirely, or new parts when I don't have a spare part of what I need. Cheap, aftermarket controllers are the name of the game for me. But, it's not always junk with me, and a good example is one of my Xbox 360 controllers. While most of the time I buy bottom of the line stuff, instead I decided to splurge and get an Afterglow, which is basically a top of the line Rock Candy, the base model, of which I've had a bunch of in the past and am very familiar with. Twice the price, but it has things like nice rubber joysticks instead of plastic, vibration motors, and the main selling point, cool lights inside of the controller you can switch between a couple settings for by toggling a little button on the bottom of the controller. It's rather fancy compared to the el cheapo stuff I normally get.

I had a choice of lime green, blue, or amber lights, and I felt lime would be overrated, but I just didn't really like the orange, and so I wanted to be different and have blue lights, because why not, and so that's what model I got. And initially, I had this blue Rock Candy I had the bright idea to switch out the case for, so the lights would match. I had to make the world's ugliest and crudest hole in the bottom for the button, but as it turns out, the blue lights are a terrible option, as they're really hard on the eyes and just pierce right into your brain and give you a headache. And in general, the black circuitboard inside plus the blue case (which made it look dark, almost navy, because it's transparent), and the black buttons, the combination just didn't do it for me, aesthetically. So back to the Rock Candy the blue case went, now with a pointless hole in the bottom, and I took the original clear bottom half from the Afterglow (now missing the sticker on the bottom, because I had put the case on the Rock Candy and wanted it to be a completely clear controller with white insides and white buttons), and then I dug around amongst some spare parts from various busted and disassembled controllers, and scavenged a red top cover for a Rock Candy, cleaned it up the best I could, and slapped that on there, which looks much better on the Afterglow than all blue with a dark red and clear two tone look plus black buttons, and the red filter does provide some protection against the harsh blue lights and makes them more bearable. Of course, because of the violent nature the red controller had been through before sitting around as parts, two screw holes in the top left corner are non-functional, so the controller feels just slightly loose when you click in the left stick, or use the left bumper. Very minor though, and the issue is in the feel more than function. It works just fine. But yeah, there you have it. A nice, modestly expensive (compared to what I normally buy) blue Afterglow, with the top cover of a busted red Rock Candy, because it just wouldn't be me otherwise.

But speaking of red Rock Candies, a few months ago, I found an extremely early one in a GameStop. The thing was fucking disgusting, and was covered in who knows what. Clearly the employees didn't bother to clean it when they got it, and it probably hadn't been cleaned, period, since it left the factory. It was sitting in a protective bag, and had a ludicrous price tag of $20. Which is NOT worth it (especially considering it's really badly worn and old), but it was a super early model that has vibration motors and the end of the cable has matching red plastic, neither of these features I have ever seen in any of the Rock Candies I have owned in the past several years. So clearly it was a really early model, and because I've gone through so many, I wanted it just to pay tribute, and so I forked up the ridiculous $20 and brought it home, and the first thing I did was strip that thing down and hand wash every single component, minus the board and pads, because that thing was fucking gross. But now I have a somewhat rare, and pretty badly worn and ratty example of a really early model for my collection, and is the highlight of it, next to my Afterglow.

Six hundred paragraphs short, I think you get the idea of what just another day is for me and the kind of stuff you'll see me using. But what about you? What kind of cool peripherals do you use? Are you like me and buy a lot of cheap ones, or are you the go big or go home type that has all kinds of really expensive hardware? Or maybe you're into all kinds of mods like turbo or whatever. Either way, I'm curious.

23 March 2020
the bottomless pit that is my mind.
Relationship status
pansexual
I buy expensive 360 controllers as they are the best for me to use with a keyboard i buy whatever is shiny and expensive with a mouse I use Razor because of the extra buttons and i like the glowy snake logo I play alot at night that's why It's so bright.

16 October 2019
Oklahoma, United States
Species
Spotted Hyena
Relationship status
So this has been my main Xbox 360 controller for almost the past month, off and on. The Afterglow from before was having this annoying issue ever since I got it where the left joystick keeps slowly moving to the left on its own every now and again without me doing anything. It was a minor issue, but annoying as fuck over time, and eventually I got tired of it, so I decided screw it, I'm swapping the damn board. I was tired of fighting the controller.

The replacement board is a white Rock Candy (they're all white) board I had lying around in a bag of scrap parts. No idea what it was doing there, seeing as it's fully working, but I think it's the board from a blue Rock Candy I had before that donated its parts. It would explain it, but either way, nice Afterglow board now downgraded to an el cheapo, no frills Rock Candy. Less sensitive joysticks, no vibration motors (at least, on the later model it happens to be. Early ones had them, before they stopped selling them with motors, presumably to make them cheaper or some reason or another). But, it works flawlessly, which is the whole point.

I also decided to change up the case, because I wanted all the screw holes to be functional, just for the sake of not having the controller loose in one spot and making it feel nicer. It happened that the only top piece I had around that met this criteria was the clear one the Afterglow first came in, and the only bottom piece was a blue Rock Candy, presumably the same one the board is also from, so interesting but coincidental reunification there. It has a totally crude hole on the bottom, because when I first got the Afterglow, I had a big stupid idea to use a blue case with it because the lights were also blue, but not only little did I know lights would be headache inducing, but I also just didn't like the look of the case with the dark board and buttons, anyway. Because the case was a Rock Candy, it had no hole in the bottom to work with the button on an Afterglow to toggle the lights, so I had to manually make the worst one ever. And since I ended up not even liking the look of the setup anyway, back apart that went, and so now the bottom half has had this random hole for no reason. And is now present on my main controller, since that same bottom case happened to be the only bottom half with all the screw holes working. It's just special, I guess. Either way, the clear top half and the blue bottom, along with the white board, actually looks somewhat cool. I even took the sticker off the back half, because there's no model or maker logos anywhere on the top half, so now the case is a complete mystery who makes it, or what model of controller it is. When in actuality, it's a total mix mash of random stuff.

I was definitely keeping the nice, rubber joysticks of the Afterglow, even though when put on a Rock Candy board, there's an extremely marginal dimensional issue (I presume), and even though it fits just fine, the sticks (which work fine without the little rubber things added to them) have an odd issue where if you move them to the upper left, it's slightly slow in-game, but every other direction is fine. Really a nuance issue, certainly not a big enough gripe for me not to retrofit the rubber joysticks I love quite a bit from the Afterglow. Because the board is white, but the sticks are black, I decided to mix and match all the other buttons applicable to alternate between black and white, including the inside of the triggers, to give the controller a seemingly intentional two tone look, which I think works very well. Since I didn't care about the old Afterglow board anyway, I ripped the motors out and stuck them in the new case, even though they're not soldered in and are non-functional, but they do give the controller a nice weight balance and makes it feel better in the hand.

Overall, I really like this controller. It looks cool enough, even though it doesn't have fancy lights like the previous one, nor (functional) vibration motors. It doesn't have the frills of the other one, but it's just custom enough to suit me, along with a slight element of mystery to those who don't know the story behind it, since it has no logos or model designation anywhere, no stickers, nothing, and it doesn't look like any off the shelf controller I'm aware of. Plus it having a random crude hole in the bottom.

Irritatingly enough, a few weeks ago, I bought a second Afterglow, a green one this time, and used that for a little bit, but a couple days ago, it too started having the exact same issue as the other one I had where the left stick moves left on its own. Still sitting around and is still working, but once again my Frankenstein controller is back as my main.

TL;DR - Afterglows have bad sticks, don't buy them; took apart previous controller, made new one from random crap I had lying around.

Attachments

24 October 2019
A Town Near St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Species
Orange/White Fox, with Brown Hair
Relationship status
Single
I have an Afterglow Xbox One controller but IDK what I did with it. Comfortable to use and makes for good PC gaming. Also have a classic wired white 360 controller.

I have a Cooler Master Devastator 3 Keyboard/Mouse combo for my computer, and then I also own an Oculus Rift CV1 virtual reality headset. I frequent Beat Saber often, or games like H3VR.

Then I have a steering wheel stand for my Logitech G25, that I use for my arcade emulators and my racing simulators.

16 October 2019
Oklahoma, United States
Species
Spotted Hyena
Relationship status
I wonder how the Xbox One Afterglows compare to their predecessors. Ever have that weird movement issue with yours? It may not be present on the Xbox One versions, but on both the Xbox 360 ones I've had, it's shown itself. I still like the Afterglows otherwise. Especially for the rubber joysticks, and nice, crisp pads for the D Pad and all the buttons. Little expensive, though. The Xbox 360 ones go for $30, I can imagine Xbox One controllers are at least 150% of that. I forgot to mention, but I totally did steal the pads from the scrapped Afterglow for my custom controller. Those pads are nice.

I also have a couple other controllers for Xbox 360. There's a really early model red Rock Candy, that has a permanantly affixed wire versus the detachable ones of most models, and vibration motors, which went away pretty quick in production. It also has matching red plastic on the USB cable, which I've never seen on any Rock Candies I've had in several years, so it must be super old. It's badly worn and scuffed up from the previous owner (I got it used), but it's all cleaned up and sitting around as my backup controller, or for player two. There's also an original wireless white controller, but my Xbox's ability to connect with wireless controllers is long dead. Not that it really matters, I prefer wired controllers since I never have to worry about batteries dying at inconvenient times. And then lastly, the green Afterglow I bought as a replacement for the blue one, but has the exact same issue. It's still there though, should it be needed. I also have a bunch of parts laying around and could probably assemble another controller in a pinch, the board from the blue Afterglow is still around, even though it's missing the vibration motors now. But it's there, and I have enough crap lying around to throw an emergency controller together.

I also have a few PS2 controllers lying around. An original one, and then two black TTX Tech ones. Personally I like those, even if they're fragile as crap (in fact I was just repairing one a few days ago, because the right grip panel is loose due to shit being broken inside) and get a bad reputation for not working. All the ones I've had have. Joysticks can be sticky, though. I like those because they largely try to emulate the feel of an Xbox 360 controller and even have fake "triggers" for the L2 and R2 buttons. On mine, they're modified to where the triggers are no longer functional, and just limply sit against the pads inside the controller for a far lighter button press, which helps with certain things like drag races in NFS: Underground.

24 October 2019
Species
Relationship status
Single
It feels just fine. Got mine brand new for like 15 bucks. Had it for several years, no problems as I can recall. It's cool being able to press a button and use the joysticks the change the hue and brightness of the controller. If you did that but pressed d-pad in color-change mode, it'd turn on disco mode.

16 October 2019
Oklahoma, United States
Species
Spotted Hyena
Relationship status
$15?? Damn, that's cheap. I get Rock Candy Xbox 360 controllers for about $14. And those are the basic, cheap model. You must have found yours on some kind of a deal.

24 October 2019
Species
Relationship status
Single
$15?? Damn, that's cheap. I get Rock Candy Xbox 360 controllers for about $14. And those are the basic, cheap model. You must have found yours on some kind of a deal.
Nope. Full price. Don't remember what store I got it from, I wanna say Wal-Mart but I don't know, but I remember also going there one day and seeing it was on sale for like five a week after I got it.