Natrix

25 March 2020
The beach
natrix.rf.gd
Species
Nacken
Relationship status
Taken
So there's been some buzz lately in regards to the suffocating death of George Floyd lately. People are debating whether or not it's a race issue, protesters are going at it in Minneapolis, people argue about the cops. Me? Hearing about this incident gives me flashbacks to the same incident with Eric Garner that happened back in 2015, hence why he was mentioned in the title. Hell, Eric Garner's mother even responded to the death of George Floyd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8C9TcpHtys
I keep bringing up to my family about how much I hear about people dying, which I've been hearing about it a lot more than any other year I've been alive, but I'm genuinely curious on what you guys' thoughts on the matter could be? And do you believe this year will get worse and more deaths will occur, or do you think it will get better?

Flank

13 April 2020
Cambridgeshire, UK
Species
Wolf/ Dragon
Relationship status
Single (not looking to date)
Just some extra information on George Floyd's incident: the crime he committed was using a counterfeit $20 note, and the officer who suffocated him had previously been accused of using excessive force/ police brutality. So honestly, lives shouldn't be lost over $20 and people need to chill.

As for the year, I hope it gets better, by then again it's 2020.

Reactions: Alphaleader

Natrix

25 March 2020
The beach
natrix.rf.gd
Species
Nacken
Relationship status
Taken
Just some extra information on George Floyd's incident: the crime he committed was using a counterfeit $20 note, and the officer who suffocated him had previously been accused of using excessive force/ police brutality. So honestly, lives shouldn't be lost over $20 and people need to chill.

Same. What's especially shocking (to me, at least) is that he wasn't even trained to be a cop but rather a bouncer for a night club. I honestly think he should have taken a job as a bouncer, then none of this would have happened. He wouldn't be in prison facing murder charges and Floyd would still be alive, although probably facing minor charges himself for the counterfeit note. But yeah, this situation was very dangerous. Everyone used to be worrying about Covid-19 but exploded once this happened. So now that's two things I'm worried about. :wtf:

Flank

13 April 2020
Cambridgeshire, UK
Species
Wolf/ Dragon
Relationship status
https://youtu.be/-ZnPm8xWshA
That is a URL to a recording (on YouTube) of Anonymous' announcement to Minneapolis' police department. The fact they're getting involved is another thing to worry about, seeing as this group is feared by governments. Watch the video if you're interested, but essentially they have started leaking every crime committed by Minneapolis' police department, because they feel they have become too corrupt.

Natrix

25 March 2020
The beach
natrix.rf.gd
Species
Nacken
Relationship status
Taken
https://youtu.be/-ZnPm8xWshA
That is a URL to a recording (on YouTube) of Anonymous' announcement to Minneapolis' police department. The fact they're getting involved is another thing to worry about, seeing as this group is feared by governments. Watch the video if you're interested, but essentially they have started leaking every crime committed by Minneapolis' police department, because they feel they have become too corrupt.
That is definitely worrying.

Flank

13 April 2020
Cambridgeshire, UK
Species
Wolf/ Dragon
Relationship status
That is definitely worrying.
Yeah, but Anonymous mostly work in favour of the people and mainly aim to take out leaders and the like. So honestly, they are on the side of the rioters, but its up to them what they do.

Reactions: Alphaleader

FreedomTaleSans

Account Disabled
5 September 2020
Relationship status
Single, and interested.

Sorry, but RIP america.

buzzsaw133

4 October 2016
Somewhere
Species
Something
Relationship status
Unknown
From what I understand... they tested the bill -after- and found out it was indeed real...

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Jack Foxtrot

24 October 2019
A Town Near St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Species
Orange/White Fox, with Brown Hair and Bright Blue Eyes
Relationship status
Single
Why are cops as powerful as they are, anyways? That's why they need defunded. Because we can taking the funding and spend it in other parts of the police.

We literally have other divisions for a reason. SWAT, FBI, there's a whole fuck-ton of other ones I can't remember what they're called. But basically, we've got divisions in the force for just about everything. They exist for a reason. Why do cops have all the armor and weapons and shit they don't need? They literally have ARs and Kalishnikovs. Like is that really necessary? If a situation is bad enough you need assault rifles, then call the SWAT.

But I think it's also because cops act like they can handle things on their own, which is why they don't even call in divisions like SWAT or FBI to begin with.

And what really pisses me off is indeed the brutality of police.

You know how many times I see people (yes, I've even witnessed this stuff in person) who are under arrest, and they're peaceful and unarmed and will come quietly, yet cops proceed to slam their ass down and tackle them? Then they'll keep telling them to "stop resisting", but they aren't even doing that half the time! If anything, they're resisting resisting arrest.

These people end up getting seriously injured or even killed for no reason, and in the end the cops find out that they weren't even the person they were looking for!

It's just so damn frustrating to see. There's been times people will get pulled over for something as simple as an unused turn signal or speeding a little bit. Cop comes up to their door, with their Glock drawn. Like... really?

But I also think this stems over the fact that literally almost everyone carries (which is unnecessary), and because of all the shootings and how trigger-happy some can be (which is fairly common in states like mine, in Missouri you can get a gun willy-nilly. No license, no psychological checks, no felon checks, no backgrounds checks. You just have to 18 to carry open or concealed which is bullshit), they're probably on-edge because they never know who could be carrying and who'd be ready to pull a gun out at any time.

Another fact is that cops in the U.S. are the least trained in the world. They only get like 13-16 weeks worth of training. Yet in other countries you can be training for practically years. And in correlation, the U.S. has some of the most cop-created homicides in the world as well.

What happened to the good old days where cops would patrol around the neighborhood doing meet-and-greets and saying "Hi" to people and actually being there as part of the community? When did that change? It's all about protecting the people.

Another false statement is that there's more good cops than bad cops. That's bullshit, 110%. I've met tons of cops, and 90% of them were assholes. Not to mention my mother was a bounty hunter, and she also dealt with a lot of them. Because cops tend to act like they're king shit and own the place. Most of the time they'll even try to get someone to commit a crime, like if they're putting someone under arrest they'll try to get them to fight (which I've personally seen a lot of in my hometown), so that they have another felony to charge them with.

It's just bullshit. Pure bullshit. And the fact people can defend the stuff that's going on is just beyond me. It doesn't even take much common sense to know that what cops do is wrong.

buzzsaw133

4 October 2016
Somewhere
Species
Something
Relationship status
Unknown
I agree, but the list is just because it helps me think better...

1) The government sells police departments surplus military gear/vehicles at marked down prices (were already marked up for the military because profits) so defense contractors and military technology companies can keep making money instead of just trashing billions of dollars worth of products.
2) Most of the issues in the US police system come from an "us vs them" mentality which has been fostered and bred by higher-ups over the years to give many officers a "warrior complex". This leads to them thinking they needs bigger and better toys, which leads to them using said "toys", which in turn leads to furthering that "warrior complex".
3) There are documented cases of actual good cop standing up to bad cops and getting fired or denied back-up in life-threatening situations. Those are just two examples... a lot of the time, good cops don't stay cops for long.

It goes deeper and is so much worse...

Jack Foxtrot

24 October 2019
A Town Near St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Species
Orange/White Fox, with Brown Hair and Bright Blue Eyes
Relationship status
Single
3) There are documented cases of actual good cop standing up to bad cops and getting fired or denied back-up in life-threatening situations. Those are just two examples... a lot of the time, good cops don't stay cops for long.
I know, and that's the sad part. The ones that actually are good get shit on.

And military's bullshit as well. We spend so damn much of our US budget on the military, more than anything else. In 2015, it took up 54% of our spending, which is basically a "fuck you" to things like Medicare & Health, Education, Food & Agriculture, Energy & Environment, Transportation, Social Security, the list goes on. We could use the money for things we actually need.

• Sad
Reactions: buzzsaw133