Looking into FFXIV?

• Using yahoo mail? Some of you have been flagging us as spam, hence mails sent to a yahoo email account will no longer be delivered for an undisclosed time. Please consider using a different email host if you really need those emails.

Thal

3 October 2016
New Mexico
Species
Bovine or scalie boi
Relationship status
Single
So, I'm wondering if anyone plays it could help me with the beginning. Since the Hrothgar have appeared, my interest has piqued and now I desire to live out my fantasies of being a ronso all but in name in very questionable fantasy armor as whatever I can start out as, I would like advice. Since I'm coming for the big guys and hopefully staying for gameplay and playing with good company.

What should I do in the beginning when I get the game?

tl;dr: I want to play the one bara race I know of and want advice.

Eral

2 May 2019
Texas
Species
Rabbit
Relationship status
Single
The only bit of meaningful advice I can give you is to be ready for a loooooooong ride through the main storyline quests to get to max level. FFXIV is different from mmos like WoW where you can instantly hop into a dungeon/raid the moment your level reaches the recommended level. In FF, you technically can grind all the way to level 70(soon to be 80) without doing the main quests, but you will have no content to play through at that level until you run though the quest line. There are actual reasons for this, but I don't want to bore you by writing a whole essay about it haha.

The best way to get through this (without cheating by purchasing the level boost and quest skip) is to actually pay attention to the story that you are going through. The main story of FF is amazing and, if you pay attention, you can get completely engrossed in it and actually WANT to go through it to find out what happens next. I've played with a lot of people who either never read anything/skipped every cut-scene or simply bought the story skip and missed out on it all out of laziness, and in my opinion it ruins the game to do that. I'm not blaming the people who care more about getting to max level and grinding for loot, I just feel sorry for what they missed out on.

Hopefully that idea doesn't intimidate you away from the game, behind that is a mmo with (in my opinion) one of the best and friendliest mmo communities out there with a ton of content to slowly chew through. Sorry if this was drawn out and biassed, FFXIV is kinda my favorite game haha.

Dopy

Founder
30 September 2016
Species
Jerboa
Relationship status
In a closed relationship with Syntex
We actually have a few ffxiv players here.

Myself and @Syntex play it actively (though not at the moment cause there's no new content).

@Tailson plays it as well.

@Pandah used to play it.

Thal

3 October 2016
New Mexico
Species
Bovine or scalie boi
Relationship status
Single
The only bit of meaningful advice I can give you is to be ready for a loooooooong ride through the main storyline quests to get to max level. FFXIV is different from mmos like WoW where you can instantly hop into a dungeon/raid the moment your level reaches the recommended level. In FF, you technically can grind all the way to level 70(soon to be 80) without doing the main quests, but you will have no content to play through at that level until you run though the quest line. There are actual reasons for this, but I don't want to bore you by writing a whole essay about it haha.

The best way to get through this (without cheating by purchasing the level boost and quest skip) is to actually pay attention to the story that you are going through. The main story of FF is amazing and, if you pay attention, you can get completely engrossed in it and actually WANT to go through it to find out what happens next. I've played with a lot of people who either never read anything/skipped every cut-scene or simply bought the story skip and missed out on it all out of laziness, and in my opinion it ruins the game to do that. I'm not blaming the people who care more about getting to max level and grinding for loot, I just feel sorry for what they missed out on.
When July rolls around, I'll keep that in mind. When I was younger when the game was in its earlier stages, I just assumed my brother played out his elven (techincal Elvaan) fantasies by being the best katana waving weeaboo elf asshole because he's kinda one irl sans the katana.

The game did look fun tho despite that, I just don't have a great relationship with my brother.