Obscure games that stuck with you

• Using yahoo mail? Some of you have been flagging us as spam, hence mails sent to a yahoo email account will no longer be delivered for an undisclosed time. Please consider using a different email host if you really need those emails.

Tygriss

20 April 2018
tygriss.sofurry.com
Species
Tiger anthro
So yeah, thought I'd post this thread since the idea popped into my head. Was thinking about the good ol days where games were what you bought and no other charges.
Got to thinking about games I grew up with and stuck with me, even though most will never have heard of them or have little idea what they are about.

Tai Fu: Wrath of the Tiger was one such game. Made by dreamworks at the end of the 90's and god I wish Dreamworks went with that instead of Kung Fu Panda years later on. Really good action/adventure game that is a shame to have vanished from the pages of gaming history in my opinon.

Another was Jade Cocoon. In my mind, it top trumped all the other monster games about at that time and still holds up to this day. One of the best soundtracks ever in a game, love the style of it and the fact you catch monsters you can later summon into battle. And the icing on the cake? You could merge the minions to make a new different type of monster with both traits. Yeah, I loved combing an armadillo enemy with a dragon to make an armoured dragon! :D

Rounding off three of many games I hold dear is Granstream Saga. An RPG done with a very minimalistic approach as no one had faces so was a bit weird. But the soundtrack was good, you wander floating islands and memorable scenery plus was one of the earlier introductions to Anime in the 90's with voiced cut scenes. Plus was one of the first action RPG's I went on and was so cool how the main character changed into magic armour and the battle music would start!

So there you go, three of, well many PSone games I remember fondly. Anyone else got obscure games that stuck with them?

23 July 2019
Where my feet take me
Species
Indeterminable
Relationship status
Unspoken
Herzog Zwei. It was an older game where you were a plane that transformed into a mech. Your object was to take outposts and in the end destroy the enemy base. The catch? You couldn't secure outposts or harm the base.

You placed ground troops - tanks, turrets, missle trucks - to do the base destruction. Your job was to help them clear out any resistance, restock their numbers, and of course fend off the enemies transforming jet. The game has since had a successor made called AirMech Arena, which isn't bad either.

Tygriss

20 April 2018
tygriss.sofurry.com
Species
Tiger anthro
Herzog Zwei. It was an older game where you were a plane that transformed into a mech. Your object was to take outposts and in the end destroy the enemy base. The catch? You couldn't secure outposts or harm the base.

You placed ground troops - tanks, turrets, missle trucks - to do the base destruction. Your job was to help them clear out any resistance, restock their numbers, and of course fend off the enemies transforming jet. The game has since had a successor made called AirMech Arena, which isn't bad either.
Okay that bit about transforming really reminds me of Future Cop LAPD. You control an armed police car that transforms into a robot heh.
The name sounds like it was a German Game, think I had something similar in the tactical area called Populous: The Beginning.

28 November 2018
Species
Spotted Hyena
Relationship status
Single (seeking)
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System. Made in 2003, basically got zero publicity back in the day, and is a hidden gem for sure. Released for GameCube, PS2, and Xbox. GameCube is my recommended version; controls for PS2 aren't as great and GameCube had a lot of different, cooler sound effects. Xbox version has a different voice actor for Glitch, the main character and just sounds weird. GameCube is the "true" way to experience the game in my opinion. I grew up playing this game and have played it to death. I can still tell you where pretty much every secret in the game is to this day, from hidden guns and upgrades to chips to special things you can buy at certain points. Absolutely a recommedation to play if you never have before, it's an awesome game with a cool and memorable story and characters (especially characters), sweet soundtrack, and really fun and amusing gameplay, and is one of my all-time favorite games. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MW_IWkryNLI

Another one would be the Jet Set Radio series. Also played the crap out of that and is hard to describe, but it's just great, play them. So, so many memories. I still remember a good majority of the soundtrack for both games.

23 July 2017
USA
Species
Snow Leopard
Relationship status
Single, interested in casual
Mischief Makers. Underrated platformer from N64 with amazing music, unique and quirky controls, zany and strange but loveable cast of characters and villains, and some seriously awesome boss fights. The whole game is a trip worth taking if you can ever find the game again, either by emulation or by real console.

Tygriss

20 April 2018
tygriss.sofurry.com
Species
Tiger anthro
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System. Made in 2003, basically got zero publicity back in the day, and is a hidden gem for sure. Released for GameCube, PS2, and Xbox. GameCube is my recommended version; controls for PS2 aren't as great and GameCube had a lot of different, cooler sound effects. Xbox version has a different voice actor for Glitch, the main character and just sounds weird. GameCube is the "true" way to experience the game in my opinion. I grew up playing this game and have played it to death. I can still tell you where pretty much every secret in the game is to this day, from hidden guns and upgrades to chips to special things you can buy at certain points. Absolutely a recommedation to play if you never have before, it's an awesome game with a cool and memorable story and characters (especially characters), sweet soundtrack, and really fun and amusing gameplay, and is one of my all-time favorite games. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MW_IWkryNLI

Another one would be the Jet Set Radio series. Also played the crap out of that and is hard to describe, but it's just great, play them. So, so many memories. I still remember a good majority of the soundtrack for both games.
The game sounds good though gun games are not really my thing unless they have a specific quirk about them.
And I know of Jet Set Radio, one of those games I regret not trying on the Dreamcast ><

Its odd though, most ports to Sony are usually the worst versions to have, even the PS4 with Black Desert is the worst since it gets the least updates.

Tygriss

20 April 2018
tygriss.sofurry.com
Species
Tiger anthro
Mischief Makers. Underrated platformer from N64 with amazing music, unique and quirky controls, zany and strange but loveable cast of characters and villains, and some seriously awesome boss fights. The whole game is a trip worth taking if you can ever find the game again, either by emulation or by real console.
Heh if I ever get a PC again I will give it a shot, one I could recommend to you is Bugs and Taz Time Busters for the PSone. Such a fun and zany game and the voicing for a Playstation game was great!

Another platformer was Scaler, worth a peek at since its a fun puzzle/adventure platformer with an electric blue lizard that can shapeshift.

Dazz

3 October 2016
Roermond, The Netherlands
Species
Swiss Shepherd
Relationship status
Single. Not looking.
I got Donald Duck - Power Duck for the PS2 for I think my eighth birthday and I absolutely loved it.
I don't think it classifies as ''obscure'' though, but it's the only non-mainstream game I had.

3 October 2016
Wisconsin
Species
Feline
Perhaps not so "obscure" compared to other games we have played, but with Alenicia's help I have been retreading our childhood and we have been playing Gauntlet again. Unfortunately because emulation is not very stable and because of the nature of the game, Gauntlet Legends isn't fully playable to my liking so we ended up trying out Gauntlet: Dark Legacy~

28 November 2018
Species
Spotted Hyena
Relationship status
Single (seeking)
I have Gauntlet: Legacy. I've had it since I was a kid way back, though honestly haven't really played it. I remember not knowing what the heck to do. I did however play the original Gauntlet sometimes though, a GameCube port of the arcade. WIZARD NEEDS FOOD, BADLY.

I was going to upload a pic of the game case on Imgur, but for whatever reason it's broken and doesn't want to work for me right now. I click and click and nothing happens. I restart and now the picture won't load and freezes my phone. And now after a third try once again, clicking does absolutely nothing, so I'm done at this point.

27 November 2017
Central Time Zone
Species
Wolfen
I am not sure if you would call this particular game game obscure or not, but my favorite shooter game for PC that I remember was the original Battlefield 2 from EA games. It was a kit_based shooter game where you had to either capture all thecontrol points to drain the opponent's tickets or simply prevent them from getting a spawn point (which were the control points.) There was no blood whatsoever, but when you did hit an opponent (or friendly) there would be dust that is knocked off your character.

28 November 2018
Species
Spotted Hyena
Relationship status
Single (seeking)
So...Sonic Battle, anyone? Fairly unknown Gameboy Advance title made in about 2003/2004. It uses extremely similar (like the same team I assume worked on these games) graphics to the Sonic Advance series, but this one is a fighting game where you literally kick the shit out of other Sonic characters. It's actually a kind of terrible game, but it's one I've had since forever and ever and grew up playing. I still have it to this day and still play it and despite it being a pretty bullshit game, I have more hours in it than I can count. Slapping the cartridge in and playing it always brings me right back to the good old days of me as a kid in the 00's on a car trip, or sitting around the trailer playing it, or even late at night when I would play games like Pokémon and such under the covers with the sound off so I could play past my bed time, especially on school nights. My memories of this game go waaay back. Anyway the game is kind of annoying at parts. The fights can be tedious, and they're every other ten seconds in the story. Some of the fights are a bit unfair, as well. The AI has a habit of keylogging you and auto blocking you and getting cheap hits, plus the AI focuses on you more often than not, even when there is more than one person on your team, or free for alls. There can be three other characters in the fight, and all three will gang up on you. AI kind of sucks in that regard and is a cheap bastard. The story itself is also really cheesy and bad, and the writing is awful. Plus legendarily crappy "cutscenes", if they even count as such. What really kills the game is the RNG, however. The whole premise of the game, besides fighting, is you have this special character, Emerl, who learns the moves of any character in the game, but it's entirely RNG based, and this is not a game with good RNG. Just because you already have a move doesn't mean you won't get it again twenty more times. The RNG sucks. Overall the game can be summed up to lame cutscenes, bad writing, too abundant and repetitive fights that are really cheap and annoying, and with bad RNG on top of it all. But it's one of those games that despite all its flaws...it has a sort of sweet spot, and maybe that's just me being unfortunate enough to grow up playing the piece of shit.

Oh, and fuck Shadow and Chaos Gamma (no not the original Gamma, long story) in particular. Shadow has a really bullshit move that breaks the game slightly (or rather makes it much more annoying to fight him), and Chaos Gamma (as well as Guard Robos, which are the same character but greyscale and don't have voices and don't give you moves when you fight them) explodes when he dies. Which is great because there's a ton of button mashing in this game, and half the time if you're not careful, he'll die and you will still be in the middle of a combo and unable to move, and he'll explode and you lose most of your health, or die outright if you're already injured.