1. Guest, due to an issue with the agelock we had to redo the whole system, if you did not get your access yet, please wait up to an hour to receive it, if you haven't still gotten it afterwards, please PM dopy.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Using yahoo mail? Some of you have been flagging us as spam, hence mails sent to a yahoo email account will no longer be delivered for an undisclosed time. Please consider using a different email host if you really need those emails.
    Dismiss Notice

Roleplay: forum vs chat

Leki Nov 28, 2016

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leki

Leki New Member

Species:
    Chimera
    Credits:
    First and foremost, I acknowledge that Furrypile has a roleplay section.
    While I have no intention of redirecting traffic elsewhere, I'm a little curious as to whether there's a community specifically centered around roleplays (adult or general).

I've browsed around a fair bit, and while there's plenty of alternatives to F-list (chat roleplay communities), I can't seem to find anything that's forum based.

Just wondering if there's anyone here who roleplays on either forums or chat? And whether they prefer one over the other?

2. BennyJackdaw

BennyJackdaw Member

Species:
    GiantRat
    Credits:
    I prefer forums because they're easier on my bandwidth and can let me go at my pace.

3. Pandah

Pandah ღ The Queen Yandere of FurryPile ღ

Species:
    Panda
    Credits:
    I actually will RP on forums rarely but mostly RP on skype.. I prefer one on one story RPs as I like my RP partner to understand we both have lives outside of the RP and get busy to resume the RP whenever

4. OpalescentConfetti

OpalescentConfetti New Member

Species:
    Aardwolf
    Credits:
    My Opinion on this is very Bias, but I prefer chats. I prefer to roleplay one on one, and Chat gives that option to me. Forums are always public.

5. Leki

Leki New Member

Species:
    Chimera
    Credits:
    Thanks for the responses~
    I personally prefer forums over chats myself because it allows me time to pause and think over what I'm going to write, nevermind the luxury of being able to roleplay on and off over the course of the day (opposed to dedicating a chunk of consistent time to it). I'd love to roleplay with my furry characters, but chat's are too demanding of my time, and I can't seem to find an active roleplaying forum that openly accepts non-human characters T_T

I also think that preference often also depends on which medium you first started rolelaying on.

6. Punnchy

Punnchy ddddd

Species:
    Husky
    Credits:
    I prefer forum rp unless it's specifically for adult content, that shorter block of time can be used in chat, but I've also known it to take an hour or two depending on the amount of detail and party focus. With forum rp I can post the depth I want and hopefully get that back, and I try to get those I'm rping with to put at least half the depth in that I do. Also, I do agree that being able to respond at my pace is a big plus.

The private role playing section of this forum is one of it's main draws, I used to try to generate non-rp threads on a regular basis to counter balance the rp threads. It failed, miserably. If your looking for something specific then create a thread in brainstorming that says what you've got that your bringing to the table and what your looking for.

7. ViciousCircle

ViciousCircle Member

Credits:
    I see roleplays as a private matter and don't like them to be public. It doesn't even feel right to read others' roleplays

8. SilverwindBlade

SilverwindBlade New Member

Species:
    Pegasus
    Credits:
    Forums tend to work better for me as I don't have the time in my life to log onto chat. Forums mean I can come and go from them when it suits me, and I don't have to time my schedule around other peoples' time zones, or lifestyles. On F-List, for example, the overwhelming majority of the userbase is US, which means as a UK user, they're all getting online after work and school when I should be going to bed. As a result, RP's don't get started until well into the late-late nights, which screws up my body clock.
    Forums mean I can just come and go when I need to. I also find them easier to put in more scene setting detail and descriptive imagery than in a chat post. You can also do more to create a specific kind of world and go into more detail in the world-building with forums, especially if you have a dedicated OOC thread for putting across setting ideas and information.

9. crypto

crypto Active Member

Species:
    Dragon
    Credits:
    I have to be able to take advantage of editing and I prefer longer posts that are difficult in chat. Forums are great, I also like to pull examples of my RPs as sort of a "resume" for when I want to RP with someone new. PMs are okay, but not every site let's you edit them.

10. Keinai

Keinai Member

Species:
    Wolf
    Credits:
    I like forums because it's easier to keep track of characters and guidelines. I feel that IM roleplays tend to get out of hand faster because you don't always have information that you can refer to without having to go through tons of replies.

Also, people tend to be more literate and creative on forums, and most chats just have people giving one-liners, since it's hard to type as fast as people are replying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.