RP Pet Peeves

16 October 2019
Oklahoma, United States
Species
Spotted Hyena
Relationship status
Single (seeking; bisexual/pansexual)
What sorts of things annoy you in RPs?

I write this, mostly in the aftermath of a little drama that happened over god modding in an RP I was doing. My character is a ghost, and while they cannot truly die (outside of dark magic, as it was that which created them), they can be disabled by "killing" their physical body, at which point they poof into a cloud of dust and reappear. The interval between reappearing depends on the story; if they're an obstacle in a story that needs overcome for the story to progress, then it's just assumed that they will not reappear within the same instance in the story. Although if they're necessary to continue it, then they can reappear almost immediately. So not a "true" god mod I don't think, so much as immortal. However the person I was RPing with has a character that can regenerate instantly, and cannot be killed, outside of them falling into a vat of lava or something (which there was none near in the setting), so it basically turned into a Metapod battle where it's just going to go absolutely nowhere. On another note, not relevant to the story, but speaking of god mods in general, anything like mind control, or "extreme" powers like blowing planets up at the snap of a finger is...eh, for me. I lose interest.

Also people who respond with A sentence or two, when I reply with a giant wall that I put a fair amount of effort into. I tend to be fairly lenient on this in general RPs, although get more annoyed by it in naughty ones. Outside of the latter, and even within, I don't tend to have a length requirement, so long as the other person genuinely tries, and I'm also very lenient on spelling and punctuation, just as long as it doesn't look like an SMS message from the 00's, when my brain physically hurts deciphering what the other person just said. I think it's trying to communicate...

What other things usually get on your nerves in RPs? I'm suddenly curious, and I don't know why. Does there really have to be a reason, though?

25 March 2020
Relationship status
Single (looking)
It’s just a slight pet peeve, but it’s just when people use asterisks (*). I think it’s a common pet peeve too.

1 August 2018
Wisconsin
Species
Dragon (Magic-Shifter)
It’s just a slight pet peeve, but it’s just when people use asterisks (*). I think it’s a common pet peeve too.
Honestly thats not a pet peeve for me, simply because ive only role-played on discord, it makes the words italics making things easier to see. Which is why i end up using it half the time.
Honestly, its not as bad as using these: ::Blank does blank:: and then some chat inbetween it gets hard to go through all of it but it takes some practice. As do most things

1 August 2018
Wisconsin
Species
Dragon (Magic-Shifter)
As for what actually gets on my nerves, what you said in the bottom half ticks me off. I can get through most posts hell i've been through people who can barely speak english. but if you give me nothing to respond to unless its a certain occasion say you're tied up or something. I expect something to respond too. Many of my characters talk alot to make sentences look bigger while what they actually do is not much. It can vary it always does.

25 March 2020
Relationship status
Single (looking)
Ah, i see what you mean. On discord, it does turn into italics. But on other websites, it just turns out like this. *Nuzzles*

Maroo

FP's resident brown bear since 2010
4 October 2016
Species
brown bear
Relationship status
mated
As for what actually gets on my nerves, what you said in the bottom half ticks me off. I can get through most posts hell i've been through people who can barely speak english. but if you give me nothing to respond to unless its a certain occasion say you're tied up or something. I expect something to respond too. Many of my characters talk alot to make sentences look bigger while what they actually do is not much. It can vary it always does.
Yeah.. this also annoys me quite a bit if all I am getting are brief replies with little to work with. I suppose I am at this point a bit infamous for my replies, but I just like being descriptive so that the poeple I RP with have something to work with... ...even if that occasionally results in a wall of text.

16 October 2019
Oklahoma, United States
Species
Spotted Hyena
Relationship status
Speaking of pet peeves...not getting replies, even when I know the person has been around. I know they can be busy and all, they have a life outside of the RP and I don't mean they have to reply every waking moment. But when hours go by, and I've seen them around more than once, and still no reply, I wonder what the holdup is. The same person I was talking about before in the original post hasn't responded in nearly ten hours, and on the Discord server we met, they've made posts multiple times on it, so I know they've been around. And now they're literally doing a public ERP in the server, and still no reply to our own ERP. So I'm left like...soooo what the fuck? Are we still doing this? At least tell me you've lost interest rather than leave me hanging...

22 February 2020
Southern California
Species
Husky
Relationship status
Taken
Speaking of pet peeves...not getting replies, even when I know the person has been around. I know they can be busy and all, they have a life outside of the RP and I don't mean they have to reply every waking moment. But when hours go by, and I've seen them around more than once, and still no reply, I wonder what the holdup is. The same person I was talking about before in the original post hasn't responded in nearly ten hours, and on the Discord server we met, they've made posts multiple times on it, so I know they've been around. And now they're literally doing a public ERP in the server, and still no reply to our own ERP. So I'm left like...soooo what the fuck? Are we still doing this? At least tell me you've lost interest rather than leave me hanging...
Yes, I am not picky when it comes to roleplays but when it's like several days and they still haven't replied and you see that the person is active and responding it just makes me want to scream and throw things

16 October 2019
Oklahoma, United States
Species
Spotted Hyena
Relationship status
Right? Thank you. I mean, god damn. Like I said, they don't have to reply every other minute, but I see them around, I'm like oh yay, maybe they'll respond to this soon because I'm a no life and kind of fucking invested in it. No reply...activity stops. Okay, maybe they were just popping in and out, no big deal. They do it multiple more times, and I start getting anxious. And then they're outright doing another ERP now, so now it just feels like blantant ignoring or disinterest. At least tell me you don't care to do this anymore, because I was actually genuinely interested and have nothing better to do with my life, and constantly check every other minute for replies and have been waiting and waiting and waiting, so please, just save me the stress and wasted effort.

22 February 2020
Southern California
Species
Husky
Relationship status
Taken
Right? Thank you. I mean, god damn. Like I said, they don't have to reply every other minute, but I see them around, I'm like oh yay, maybe they'll respond to this soon because I'm a no life and kind of fucking invested in it. No reply...activity stops. Okay, maybe they were just popping in and out, no big deal. They do it multiple more times, and I start getting anxious. And then they're outright doing another ERP now, so now it just feels like blantant ignoring or disinterest. At least tell me you don't care to do this anymore, because I was actually genuinely interested and have nothing better to do with my life, and constantly check every other minute for replies and have been waiting and waiting and waiting, so please, just save me the stress and wasted effort.
Really though. It kind of ruins my day to get online and see that once again I have no new messages in my inbox. And recently one of the people I have been rping with hasn't responded for like a week and they are postings new rp ideas like... Um hello? I guess I don't exist anymore

16 October 2019
Oklahoma, United States
Species
Spotted Hyena
Relationship status
Me every day with the inbox thing. I physically die inside when I wake up and check my phone and nothing is on my lock screen, and I check here and no alerts here, either. Granted, for here it's super common. I jump a little inside when I see the (1) indicator, and then want to throw my phone when it's usually a reply to a thread or a post I forgot about long ago instead of a message.

And exactly with the not existing thing. It's like...okay...? Am I a fucking ghost now? Guess I'll die. It's seriously aggravating.

22 February 2020
Southern California
Species
Husky
Relationship status
Taken
Me every day with the inbox thing. I physically die inside when I wake up and check my phone and nothing is on my lock screen, and I check here and no alerts here, either. Granted, for here it's super common. I jump a little inside when I see the (1) indicator, and then want to throw my phone when it's usually a reply to a thread or a post I forgot about long ago instead of a message.

And exactly with the not existing thing. It's like...okay...? Am I a fucking ghost now? Guess I'll die. It's seriously aggravating.
Yeah literally every time I get on here I die internally. And then when someone FINALLY responds to the rp it's something that definitely was not worth waiting for