So it happened... again.

• Using yahoo mail? Some of you have been flagging us as spam, hence mails sent to a yahoo email account will no longer be delivered for an undisclosed time. Please consider using a different email host if you really need those emails.
23 July 2017
USA
Species
Snow Leopard
Relationship status
Single, interested in casual
The reality is that these happen a lot more than they were originally publicized. It's just now there's a massive push for gun control (again) so that they can have a reason to take away our means of defending ourselves. That or blame "violent media" like video games and movies and what not...

23 July 2019
Where my feet take me
Species
Indeterminable
Relationship status
Unspoken
You say defending ourselves, yet compared to most of Europe, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and any other country with stronger gun regulations, you'll find a lower number of mass shootings. Hell! Just ask the members of the pile from countries other than the US what their Active Shooter Training consists of. Its fascinating.

23 July 2017
USA
Species
Snow Leopard
Relationship status
I'm not saying it should happen. it shouldn't. And there needs to be a lot more emphasis in the media about self-defense rather than relying on the police force that, in some areas, has dwindled so bad they don't have enough policeman to catch nearly the amount of crime that they should be able to.

It's gotten to the point where we have one really big mess and the real way to solve it isn't being put into practice.

23 July 2019
Where my feet take me
Species
Indeterminable
Relationship status
Unspoken
I'm not saying it should happen. it shouldn't. And there needs to be a lot more emphasis in the media about self-defense rather than relying on the police force that, in some areas, has dwindled so bad they don't have enough policeman to catch nearly the amount of crime that they should be able to.

It's gotten to the point where we have one really big mess and the real way to solve it isn't being put into practice.
Again, just compare the rates of other countries. With stronger regulations on gun control comes a decrease in violent crime. And suicide weirdly enough. Or again! Just ask people how their countries handle the threat of an active shooter.

Answer! They don't. It isn't a problem most of Europe even has. Hell, neither does Australia or New Zealand. You can push a narrative of constant readiness and vigilance, but it doesn't change the fact that Australia hasn't had a mass shooting since 1996 - the same year they passed tighter gun control regulation.

23 July 2019
Where my feet take me
Species
Indeterminable
Relationship status
Unspoken
I know Meeps. I was attempting not to be accused of gun blaming. I'm not. I'm blaming an apathetic system that pushes a false narrative to avoid facing the hard reality of life. To avoid making the hard decisions. But! We as a society don't, because frankly we don't even care that much for those who have died.

And those who will.

23 July 2017
USA
Species
Snow Leopard
Relationship status
And what thing has Australia primarily done that has ended this "epidemic"? Or has it merely shifted to other means, like it has in Japan?

23 July 2019
Where my feet take me
Species
Indeterminable
Relationship status
Unspoken
And what thing has Australia primarily done that has ended this "epidemic"? Or has it merely shifted to other means, like it has in Japan?
I'd consider the fact we have had more mass shootings this year than days an epidemic and not an "epidemic". And Australia had a mandatory buyback of the guns most commonly used in mass shootings/violent crime in 1996. And the violent crime rate plummeted far enough that the citizens managed to vote to pass a second buyback of further firearm types around 2003.

Oh yes, there are still violent crimes... but never the numbers you see from say the Pulse shooter or the Vegas shooter. And thats kind of the point. I'd like to see a year where our mass shootings don't hit triple digits. That would be swell.

Alenicia

~ Gold Edition Delight ~
3 October 2016
Wisconsin
Species
Dragon
I think part of the biggest problem is that in the United States we've always been "in conflict" in some way or another. I don't really think that we should really be having guns anyways but the second amendment says we could in the need to defend ourselves .. but I really don't find myself thinking that I feel "safe" when everyone has the means to each other legally.

To me the issue isn't really the fact that guns exist or not and that people can get them .. as much as it is that in the United States it's so hard to not be in "conflict" with one another over one thing or another. We've been in wars and participated/instigated them for way longer than we haven't been in one .. so it's not surprising to me that when conflict breaks out between people or when someone decides to go in and gun others down that we don't seem to know what to do.

From my end, anyways, it just seems like everyone's trying to find a scapegoat or another to blame so that we can bury the news and pretend that things are making progress or that there are problems that need to be fixed. I personally would prefer to live like the other countries where the means of violence would have to be more extreme and more difficult to achieve than to have what essentially is "yet another shooting" every day or every week. The publicity that we get here in the United States for it really doesn't serve to fix anything .. other than to attempt pointing fingers at the "diabolical they."

wraith138

3 October 2016
Louisiana
Species
SpottedHyena
Also, any decent gun owner won't accept gun control. Gun control is people control. Nothing more. Look at the UK's tyrannical invasions of privacy for an example. So yeah, no thanks. I'll keep my guns. You don't get to control my life because you don't like guns.

23 July 2019
Where my feet take me
Species
Indeterminable
Relationship status
Unspoken
Also, any decent gun owner won't accept gun control. Gun control is people control. Nothing more. Look at the UK's tyrannical invasions of privacy for an example. So yeah, no thanks. I'll keep my guns. You don't get to control my life because you don't like guns.
I never said I didn't like guns. I own several, but I don't value them more than I do the lives of those lost to gun violence. I am secure enough in myself to not have to wrap my identity up in them. And tyranny? At least the UK hasn't reached the point where they are training 12 year olds to rush a gunman as a viable solution to the inevitability of another shooting. You can shout about tyrants and people control all you want but at the end of the day we've had over 297 mass shootings in the US. And! If you only use the most strict definition of Mass Shooting (which isn't the definition used by the FBI) it doesn't take away the fact we've had at bare minimum of 10,000 shooting deaths in the US alone this year.

So yes the UK might be "tyrants" to you but we have a murder rate 18 times that of the UK. And if you break that down further, our murder rate per million people is 4 times that of the UK. And in case you want to roll this into a "of course our murder rates are higher we have an illegal immigration problem", ALL studies show that immigrants, even the illegal kind, commit crimes at less than half the rate of the general population.

Last edited:

wraith138

3 October 2016
Louisiana
Species
SpottedHyena
I never said I didn't like guns. I own several, but I don't value them more than I do the lives of those lost to gun violence. I am secure enough in myself to not have to wrap my identity up in them. And tyranny? At least the UK hasn't reached the point where they are training 12 year olds to rush a gunman as a viable solution to the inevitability of another shooting. You can shout about tyrants and people control all you want but at the end of the day we've had over 297 mass shootings in the US. And! If you only use the most strict definition of Mass Shooting (which isn't the definition used by the FBI) it doesn't take away the fact we've had at bare minimum of 10,000 shooting deaths in the US alone this year.

So yes the UK might be "tyrants" to you but we have a murder rate 18 times that of the UK. And if you break that down further, our murder rate per million people is 4 times that of the UK. And in case you want to roll this into a "of course our murder rates are higher we have an illegal immigration problem", ALL studies show that immigrants, even the illegal kind, commit crimes at less than half the rate of the general population.

Well for starters, what goes on in the UK is not my problem. Frankly put I don't care about the UK. If they want to be slaves, then that's their problem. I'm not going to roll over without a fight. Gun Control is People Control, and we've already let them control us enough. Also, I don't support public schools, so that probably should take care of itself. Mass Shootings? First of all, dig into the actual data and you'll see that the numbers are misleading. And I'm gonna be cold here, but my rights are not up for sale because of someone else's mistakes. It's like restricting someone's internet because they made you cry. It's a violation of human rights. All gun laws are infringements. People who support gun laws are too afraid to learn how to fend for themselves without a government to nanny them. Personally, if we got rid of the government , we'd be in a better place. But people are too weak to admit that the government does more harm than it ever will good. We tried gun control once. And again and again. Why must gun owner's surrender their rights, yet no one else is willing to sacrifice theirs?