1. Guest, due to an issue with the agelock we had to redo the whole system, if you did not get your access yet, please wait up to an hour to receive it, if you haven't still gotten it afterwards, please PM dopy.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Using yahoo mail? Some of you have been flagging us as spam, hence mails sent to a yahoo email account will no longer be delivered for an undisclosed time. Please consider using a different email host if you really need those emails.
    Dismiss Notice

Tabletop/card versions of video games

Tuddy Nov 7, 2016

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuddy

Tuddy The Admin that likes Games

Species:
    Skunk
    Credits:
    This is a bizarre subject to post, I'm well aware, but it's worth asking - do you guys play any tabletop or card adaptations of video games, or is there one you'd recommend to other people?

Personally, I'm trying to get back into the Pokémon TCG, a decision at least slightly influenced by the fact the current set, XY Evolutions, features reprinted, powered-up, versions of classic cards... the fact that the changes are so minor - 10-20 HP here, a new/improved move there, really appeals to me; and it's nice to see that even now the card game has managed to stand the test of time without much power-creep... outside of break forms and EX cards... though even they are limited by having a higher risk (counting as two prize cards as opposed to one) associated with them.

So yeah, anybody else playing plastic, board or card (or pen and paper!) versions of things that were originally video games, that they'd like to share with the class?

2. Eden Eternia

Eden Eternia New Member

Species:
    Hellhound
    Credits:
    Hm! I too have the same interest with you - getting back into the Pokemon TCG, though I ended up joining the online community which is rather interesting. I initially thought it would be a little childish but the community is pretty awesome~

I'm not sure if it counts but I also play MTG >.>;;

3. Skytech

Skytech Active Member

Species:
    Vulpan
    Credits:
    A long time back there was a boardgame FRAG based on all those twitchy move and shoot videogames. Up to four players grab their character, gun in hand, place at each corner of the board and dodge around walls shooting each other while grabbing power ups and new weapons. You die, you regen over and over and..... Sound familiar?

4. Neulis

Neulis New Member

Species:
    Mouse =3
    Credits:
    There's a card game called YOMI which mimics the mind games behind fighting games. You have attacks, blocks, throws, and dodges, with a rock paper scissors approach to combat. It's all about reading what you opponent plans on doing next. There are currently 20 characters in total, all with unique art and moves. It's all structured decks by the way, it's not like Magic where it all comes in boosters. There is an adaptation of the card game on PC, IOS, and Android, and there is amusingly going to be a proper fighting game using the characters from it. I personally prefer playing as Onimaru, a samurai with robots as his army, and DeGrey, who is a politician from the past who died and has been bought back to life, currently haunted by a ghost. It's neat =3

There is apparently a similar game called Battlecon with a heroes vs villains vibe to it, but I haven't played it myself

Alphaleader likes this.
  5. crypto

crypto Active Member

Species:
    Dragon
    Credits:
    I'm really the other way around. I love it when Board Games are made available on the PC. Good examples are Tabletopia and Tabletop Simulator.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.