The Thing That Triggered My Interest In Furries

TheOneKnownAs

29 June 2021
Relationship status
Wanderer
Since joining this site, there has been a question on my mind; where did my interest in furries originate from? It's not something I ever really thought about up til now. I've always been a causal consumer when it came to my interest in furries and place marks the first time I've joined a community focused on it. Granted, it was primarily for roleplaying and a whim, but the interest is there.

So, I started rummaging through my memories to find whatever sparked this interest. It was a fantastical journey of the human psyche filled with awe and fright. This deep dive into my inner self has lead me to dusty forgotten corner of my mind where I found my answer. Layered with years of dirt and grime was an aged plastic case with the words 'Starfox Adventures' on the cover.

For those who didn't grew up knowing the joys of the purple lunchbox, Starfox Adventures was a video game for a console know as the Gamecube. For many fans of the Starfox series, this was a disappointing sequel. I was not among these fans. Why, you may ask? The reason was simple; I had no what Starfox was. This was my first Starfox game and I loved it. I loved the setting. I loved how Zelda-like it was. I loved being able to relentlessly beat down annoying dino kids with a stick. There was, however, something else I loved about the game that I never really told anyone. Well, perhaps 'love' isn't the right word to describe my feelings. Lust would be a better description.

I'm sure everybody familiar with this game already knows what I'm talking about. What ultimately sparked my restraint in furries (and by extension Monster Girls) was a lovely fox lady named Krystal.

iu

Oh boy. Let me tell ya, young me was confused. We have here a clearly not human female and yet she made me feel things. It didn't help the game had cutscenes like this one with her.

It awakened something in me. Something that I shoved into the deepest trench of my soul until it resurfaced many, many years latter.

So, that's my story. What about you guys? Please, if you don't mind dear reader, share what awakened your interest or lust for furries.

Reactions: Feileks

Maroo

FP's resident brown bear since 2010
4 October 2016
Species
brown bear
Relationship status
mated
Gamecube, huh? Gosh I am feeling old now. Back when i was a kid, NES was all the rage and SNES was just coming out...

Spark

17 May 2021
North Carolina
Species
Dragon
Relationship status
Single
That's for sure. Tho I was an n64 baby. ^-^' but I agree I think crystal was a big one for me also. :p made me want to start looking around.
Well. Her and Kat. Tho you don't see Kat much other then starfox 64

Last edited:

Skytech

4 October 2016
Species
Vulpan
Always had a fascination for anthropomorphic animals since a very young child. In those days it was cartoons featuring them from Bugs Bunny to Mighty Mouse. In my teen years, my art talent let me create my own creations from a cartoonish bear featuring one shot pictures to newspaper 3 panel stories to a super hero who was from an alien feline race that got its own stories. This was all decades before the term 'furry' existed. I still enjoyed various media featuring animal characters but in the late 70s early 80s anthropomorphic comics exploded and I was thoroughly immersed. I discovered electronic Bulletin Boards that now focused on what were now officially termed furry. 10-15 years later, the Internet made accessibility to all things furry routine. During the mid time I emulated furry comics with my own long running art for a furry character I created and soon became my fursona (yeah, that profile picture to the left <--). A work of creative art in the early 2000s featuring costume, makeup and mask create a new fursona that brought the concept of furry to thousands of people a year on the improvisational stage. Yeah, I've had several awakenings over a long time.

TheOneKnownAs

29 June 2021
Relationship status
Wanderer
Gamecube, huh? Gosh I am feeling old now. Back when i was a kid, NES was all the rage and SNES was just coming out...
I remember owning a NES when I was very young. I'm talking maybe about three or four years old. I wish I know what happened to it.
That's for sure. Tho I was an n64 baby. ^-^' but I agree I think crystal was a big one for me also. :p made me want to start looking around.
Well. Her and Kat. Tho you don't see Kat much other then starfox 64
N64 was what really got me into gaming. On that note, I didn't play Starfox 64 until many years latter on the Wii Virtual Console. In fact, I'm didn't play many of the N64 classics until my late teens. I'm talking about games like Super Mario 64, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Majora's Mask, and of course Starfox 64. I did, however, play both Banjo-Kazooie & Tooie. I'm still waiting for the Threeie.
Always had a fascination for anthropomorphic animals since a very young child. In those days it was cartoons featuring them from Bugs Bunny to Mighty Mouse. In my teen years, my art talent let me create my own creations from a cartoonish bear featuring one shot pictures to newspaper 3 panel stories to a super hero who was from an alien feline race that got its own stories. This was all decades before the term 'furry' existed. I still enjoyed various media featuring animal characters but in the late 70s early 80s anthropomorphic comics exploded and I was thoroughly immersed. I discovered electronic Bulletin Boards that now focused on what were now officially termed furry. 10-15 years later, the Internet made accessibility to all things furry routine. During the mid time I emulated furry comics with my own long running art for a furry character I created and soon became my fursona (yeah, that profile picture to the left <--). A work of creative art in the early 2000s featuring costume, makeup and mask create a new fursona that brought the concept of furry to thousands of people a year on the improvisational stage. Yeah, I've had several awakenings over a long time.
I think it's super amazing you can draw! My artistic talent is virtually nonexistent.

Skytech

4 October 2016
Species
Vulpan
Believe me, my skills were crude but I kept trying and learning. Still no where near the envious talent of others but it's acceptable. I never thought I would ever become an actor either.

Keep trying.

Fyrefox

18 October 2019
Pennsylvania, USA
foxsylvania.blog
Species
red fox
Relationship status
In a relationship
Without a doubt, it was the ‘toons for me, and identifying more with the animal characters than with the humans. I would continue to watch and cherish such ‘toons, especially those from the Warner Bros. stable, long past the age when it was socially acceptable, and I still continue to secretly view them today. A feature-length ‘toon movie is a guilty pleasure.

I played a rooster in a second grade class play and really got into the part, even though I had to wear a nylon stocking over my head, and couldn’t do my Foghorn Leghorn impression. I played Don Quixote‘s horse in a college production of Man of La Mancha and got deeply into the part as well. This was all in the days before furry became recognizable as an identity, and I thought I was all alone...

B8F96528-88CF-4578-BD3E-5A9D4EA68790.jpeg