1. Guest, due to an issue with the agelock we had to redo the whole system, if you did not get your access yet, please wait up to an hour to receive it, if you haven't still gotten it afterwards, please PM dopy.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Using yahoo mail? Some of you have been flagging us as spam, hence mails sent to a yahoo email account will no longer be delivered for an undisclosed time. Please consider using a different email host if you really need those emails.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiers ruin monster collecting games for me.

BennyJackdaw Dec 12, 2016

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BennyJackdaw

BennyJackdaw Member

Species:
    GiantRat
    Credits:
    I was playing Monster Legend this morning, and for the longest time I've been wondering if the game had any tiers, yet at the same time I kept telling myself "No! Don't look up the strongest monsters," but I finally did today, and what I saw was what I see in just about every single monster collecting game. Me, personally, I like my monsters strong, chunky, with bulk to them, yet what do I see being considered the best in the game: UGLY, DEFORMED, ANOREXIC STICK-FIGURES! And, I mean, it's not just monsters I don't like being the strongest, but it's the absolute ugliest, most repulsive looking monsters every time. It's like this in Pokemon, too. My favorite Pokemon suck, including a huge bulky LEGENDARY Monster that is one of the only 7th gen Pokemon I find cool, while the deformed stickfigures become ultra powerful (I want to give Pheromosa the most gruesome death imaginable). It's like this in other games too, including fighting games where the big strong guys are ALWAYS considered low tier.

I just wish there was a monster collecting game with really strong monsters that aren't just generic stick-figure designs, and it honestly feels like game designers assume everyone likes these kind of character. I, honestly, hate them.

Also, this is sort-of video game related, but it taps more into my dislike for skinny characters than video games, plus it's a rant, so I put it here.

2. Tuddy

Tuddy The Admin that likes Games

Species:
    Skunk
    Credits:
    Gonna be honest, there are plenty of super cool-looking, powerful Pokémon. Salamence and Metagross, for example, are just as viable now as they were 10 years ago. Also, to use the seventh generation examples, BUZZWOLE, son. There's a reason why "swole" is in that motherfucker's name. Lots of bulk there.

Besides, let's be honest, I always play with my favourites. Granted, I'm not about to sweep VGC or become a competitive legend, but with properly EV Trained monsters and actual effort put into the creation of a good moveset, I can hold my own against competitive players - good team composition and strategy matters more than having only the best Pokémon. I mean, what use is a Pheromosa against a Mimikyu? All you need is one turn, which Disguise grants you, and Play Rough can, provided your phys. attack is high enough, OHKO her on a crit... probably on a normal, I'm hardly an expert, I'm just trying to do the math off the top of my head!

Besides, I love cute Pokémon - stuff like Sylveon, Pikachu and, obviously, Mimikyu, the undisputed king/queen of creepy-cute. I wish there were more tournament viable cute Pokémon, but I'm content with what I've got thus far, so... yeah :P

3. calm melody

calm melody Member

Species:
    snow leopard, or mlp pegasus.
    Credits:
    Personally, I'll probably just play through the game, and not really play again, I don't really go in for all the min-maxing stuff, and I've only been playing pokemon (very much off and on) for about 2 years nownow, I started with black/white, and honestly I didn't play much because of them not working well with my fiance's DS flash cart. I really started with Pokemon X/Y after it became easy/feasible to crack them. I've not even played omega ruby/alpha sapphire yet, I kinda just skipped straight to sun/moon, honestly I'm liking the changes with this one.

4. BennyJackdaw

BennyJackdaw Member

Species:
    GiantRat
    Credits:
    Meh, Buzzwole's bulky, but I don't really find him all that cool. No face, just muscle and four bug legs. Meh, I'd use him, but not as happily as I'd use Guzzlord. What the **** was Game Freak thinking when they gave Guzzlord crap stats (except HP) and crap moves? As for Salamence and Metagross? Both are pretty meh, too. Salamence is a somewhat generic dragon (not as generic as Charizard, but I'd argue he's still less cool), and I'm really not a big fan of inorganic-type characters.

But here's the problem: I like playing online, and I end up with this dillema: use Pokemon I like and lose or win but do it with Pokemon I despise. I mean, sure, there's Venusaur and Gengar and Slowbro who are powerful bulky designs (although Gengar probably sucks now without levitate), but then we got Serperior, Greninja, Pheromosa and a bunch of other Pokemon I can't stand. And the Pokemon I like make up such a tiny fraction of the Uber/OU tier that I have to branch out to lower tiers in order to make a team I like. The only thing ***holes like Greninja and Pheromosa have against them are the fact they can't take a hit, so if anything can survive an attack from them, they can usually kill them, but that's in the off chance they do or the stick-figures don't switch out.

As for strong, cute Pokemon. I actually like Cleffable. It's pink, chunky, and has decent recovery, really good bulk, and some really useful abilities.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.