What are Mates/Pets/Slave/etc?

• Using yahoo mail? Some of you have been flagging us as spam, hence mails sent to a yahoo email account will no longer be delivered for an undisclosed time. Please consider using a different email host if you really need those emails.
3 December 2016
Species
Black Liger
Not too active on her, but since I remember something akin to this on an older rendition of this site, I figured I'd quickly drop in and ask the question.
I'm relatively active on a few other platforms, and I've been approached by a handful of people lately asking me if I'd be interested in them as a mate and/or pet.

What on earth does that imply?
I'm assuming it's somethin along the lines of pairing characters up?
Since I foolishly(?) stated I'm already in a relationship in real-life. And got told "That doesn't matter."
I mean, I assume a good chunk depends on the indivudal asking, but broadly speaking;
What are they?
And what's the difference?

Thanks

Elphyda

9 April 2018
Over Yonder
Species
Britannian Fennec BunFox
A mate is your relationship / lover, may it be through in-character or out-of-character is dependent on whoever fills it in.
A Pet, Slave, etc are uh... adult related, and are not of as much concern as a mate.

3 December 2016
Species
Black Liger
Thanks for the response Elphyda

I kind of figured that the mate thing was talking about 'relationships' but the context in which I've been asked has been pretty.... varied.
I'm glad to hear that it's possible (and likely?) that a lot of people who approached me where talking out-of-character. Since the idea of being in a relationship with someone I just met just sounds bizarre. Sure I can be a bit of a loner sometimes... but I'm not that lonely xD

As for pets and slaves, I'm wondering if it's possible to differentiate between those as well (without infringing on any content rules)? Since it seems like there's some weird heirarchy of Mate>Pet>Slave, going off the instance where I rejected the "mate" offer. Was asked about them becoming a pet and knocked that back too. And got the reply "Fine, how about a slave then? I'm flexible"

Not sure how seriously I should be handling these people either.
Will admit I'm not all that interested in this type of stuff. But considering I'm pretty isolated in the furry community I figured I'd be tolerant and try and adapt to the weirdness. Though with that said, I don't want hysterical drama either... and I wonder just how much thought I should be giving this whole thing.

wolflove

FP's Friendly Wolf
1 October 2016
USA
www.youtube.com
Species
Angel/Demon Wolf
Just want to say, before you agree to be anyone’s master/pet online, check with your real life partner first. It’s been an issue before where someone has a gf or bf, and their gf or bf gets upset when they find out the person agreed to be someone’s master or pet online without asking first since some people see it as cheating.

3 December 2016
Species
Black Liger
Thanks for the advice wolflove.
I've actively been discussing it with my partner since it first happened, and although they find it odd and weird.
They're fine with it as long as it doesn't develop into perverse flirting and real-life hookups.
Neither of which I'd be interested in anyway.

Maroo

4 October 2016
Species
brown bear
Not too active on her, but since I remember something akin to this on an older rendition of this site, I figured I'd quickly drop in and ask the question.
I'm relatively active on a few other platforms, and I've been approached by a handful of people lately asking me if I'd be interested in them as a mate and/or pet.

What on earth does that imply?
I'm assuming it's somethin along the lines of pairing characters up?
Since I foolishly(?) stated I'm already in a relationship in real-life. And got told "That doesn't matter."
I mean, I assume a good chunk depends on the indivudal asking, but broadly speaking;
What are they?
And what's the difference?

Thanks
As pointed out before, mate refers to your significant other. While in some countries the term also refers to friends or buddies, you can assume that the meaning on here is more along the lines of a partner for mating - hence your significant other. I'd say that whoever told you that being in a relationship would not matter, was kinda selfish. I personally don't do erotic RPs for this exact reason of being happily mated - amongst other reasons.
As for pet/slave, see below, please.

[...]
A Pet, Slave, etc are uh... adult related, and are not of as much concern as a mate.
This is not quite accurate. Pet and slave refer to kink-related relationship mechanics involving various degrees of power exchange, which also work differently. A pet most often is desiring to be treated like an animal: being walked on a leash, fed from a bowl, etc. A slave on the other hand is often a masochist, who desires to be treated as posession of their master, surrendering power (more or less) entirely. Due to the power exchange mechanic, both owner/pet and master/slave relationships should never EVER be taken lightly since both have the potential to inflict serious psychic trauma if they turn abusive. If anything they require an even deeper level of trust than a regular relationship - which is why sometimes existing couples try out one or the other to spice things up. Doing so should be carefully considered - especially if one of the involved people already has some sort of psychic trauma to deal with. I would, for example, strongly discourage people suffering from depression to enter a master-slave relationship, because it can make their problem worse if their master treats them as an item. So best be careful about that.
I have noticed, that on this site the terms are used more loosely, but ther general underlying principles remain.

Hope I could clarify a thing or two.