what is a kobold?

• Using yahoo mail? Some of you have been flagging us as spam, hence mails sent to a yahoo email account will no longer be delivered for an undisclosed time. Please consider using a different email host if you really need those emails.
4 October 2016
Bluffton
Species
kitsune
I feel a but dumb asking this but I just recently as in 24-48 hours just recently saw a image of a interesting creature they called a Kobold from what i'm getting there tiny lizards? and being the type of curious person I am now i'm wondering if there some random creature some person thought of or is there historical folklore behind this creature and....well the biggest question what are they other then scaley er....lizards if they even have scales? or even lizards are they a minor species of dragons or something. I feel silly saying this but I find myself a bit beyond intrigued by these little guys. and plus admittedly it's fun to learn new things.

28 October 2018
A wonderful world of imagination
Species
Wolf/Deer
5 October 2016
Here, there, and sometimes far away.
Species
Shape-shifting wolf
Believe it or not, but the Goblinoid aspect of Kobolds were well-known in Germanic Folklore, basically they were shape-canging imps and goblins that cause mischief. They've undergone quite the change in pop-culture as mostly Pseudo-dragons that willingly serve under Ancient Dragons as servants and slaves (Mainly in relation to D&D). But yeah this is the gist of Kobolds.

And @Teathewolfdeer 's info isn't wrong. I get that Wikipedia can be a dump source that doesn't have a secure method to keeping people from Messing with information. But so far most of the info I've found has been pretty Legit.

4 October 2016
Bluffton
Species
kitsune
oh my so they weren't always lizards and it traces back to Germanic folklore this is just amazing I thought it would be just silly character created for a game like D&D but I didn't expect it to go that far back. Secondly goblins/imps now I know a starting point in truth I was curious and asking cause I was thinking of making one and when I do I like to try to stick to the lore of said characters well as close as one can be.

Also just noticed my response may...have come off cold and if so I apologize. it's just I don't know how many school projects I failed as I grew due to that place. I really do appreciate your input though.

still form what i'm getting back Kobolds originated form German folklore?

4 October 2016
Bluffton
Species
kitsune
heh so were in the same place I got the basic culture down and after this I will star looking myself now that I have a starting point so again thank you all but now i'm more curious general info or interesting tidbits about them.