Disability Awareness Month

Punji

21 December 2022
July is Disability Awareness month!

There are a great many difficulties individuals with disabilities face in everyday life which many others are never made aware of. Physical, mental, and psychological disabilities can be incredibly debilitating while at times remaining almost invisible to observers. Often disability is depicted as being restrained to a wheelchair for movement or relying on a service dog for support, but often disabilities are "hidden" and so to they are hidden from our minds and hearts.

Speaking for myself, I have a rare disability which is entirely unobservable. For many years I complained about severe pain to my parents and the other adults in my life to no avail until I was eventually able to convince my father to take me to our family doctor. Eventually after a number of tests, I underwent a diagnostic surgery and was told about my specific condition. This started around the age of fourteen for me. If my own parents couldn't tell something was wrong with me in spite of my constant complaints, how could anyone else? Every single person I meet in life is genuinely shocked if/when I tell them of my disability and very few seem to ever understand the extent of my difficulties. I have met only a single person who could understand what my disability is like, but to a lesser degree. She too had the same condition but was far less severe, and I only discovered she had it as well when I asked her to pause for a moment to let me rest during a tour of the building I was visiting. What had become a critical difficulty for me was not even beginning to be an issue for her, and she had the same thing!

This is terribly all too common for many individuals, whether physical disabilities or mental & psychological disabilities. Not only are accessibly supports infrequently provided as needed for many, they are often not made available at all for everyone who genuinely needs them. For non-visible disabilities especially so there is very often a degree of stigma in seeking help or utilizing the available resources. As a personal anecdotal example, when I use handicap parking, sit in disabled-priority seating, or ride elevators and escalators over staircases I usually get a lot of stares. Some people can be very impolite about me using these supports when I don't "look disabled."

Society has a moral obligation to provide assistance to those who require it. What I would some day hope to see is a greater awareness of the difficulties individuals may face in their lives and a reduction of the stigmas and discrimination surrounding the disabled. The social stigma surrounding disabilities is a major issue ranging from the healthcare system to everyday life and even employment discrimination. It's important to understand disability isn't always being bound to a wheelchair or having difficulties with written words or sudden loud noises. Life is difficult, and it's difficult for everyone. We should try to make things just a little easier when we can. After all, anyone can become disabled in their lives, from sudden incidents to aging.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My older brother has the same condition, though he's almost entirely asymptomatic. He's only experienced symptoms a couple of times to my knowledge. Before the first time he used to think we had it the same and I was just weak and he was strong, and then suddenly he couldn't get out of his car because he'd hurt himself too badly. At this time he was a young teenager, I think, and he needed help from our mother to get out of the vehicle all the while crying in pain. One of my earlier memories is something of a similar situation, only I was far younger and no one was ever there to help me. I hurt my legs in gym class in early elementary school and sat on a bench along the wall. Just sat there for hours. My class left, another class came and went, and sitting in an empty gym I eventually I decided I couldn't just stay there anymore. So little young me I stood up as best I could and cried my eyes out from the agony. And then I walked back to class alone. I don't think my brother was weak for it, I just think he didn't understand. Really, no one did. What he felt that one time was something I had gone through countless times ten years before he ever felt it once, but all the while he thought he knew what it was like. So when he finally got himself hurt the way I did, he finally realized maybe he didn't actually know. Sometimes I wonder what he must think about it now.

Sometimes I think it might have been for the better that I was born with this disability. Living with something like this, something both very painful and so very "othering" really changes a person. I don't know who I might have been if things were different or who I might be if suddenly all my symptoms were gone forever. All the things I never got to do and never will, all the situations it caused me, all the times I had to explain it to someone, it makes me seem both an oddity and a novelty at times and a burden at others. I'm much more aware of it than people seem to think sometimes. So many times someone took it upon themselves to accompany me during some long excursion somewhere, stopping with me when I needed to rest and moving on when I was ready. In a sense I appreciate the gesture, but it can be a little infantilizing. Nothing can be done and no one knows what to do, so someone always ends up sticking with me the whole while kinda just awkwardly there next to me, like I need help or that I might be left behind. At times like these, I wish more people understood what it's like to go through.

My brother and I are very different people. Despite everything and all the similarities of our lives we have more differences than similarities between ourselves. I have been hospitalized twice due to my condition, both times from a similar incident. I caused it myself out of stupidity and was effectively immobilized for a week and change. My brother has also been to the hospital once, though as I understand it wasn't as physically debilitating for him. Not sure what happened but he didn't go to the ER for a while so it must not have been that bad. It was me first, then him, then me again. During the second time around my father was with me visiting in the hospital, and he mentioned how I was always so nice to the nurses and staff caring for me and how my brother really wasn't. I don't think the only thing that made he and I such different people was the severity of my disability and his lack there of, but I do believe it did make me a very different person. If he had been through what I went through before, would he have been nicer to the hospital staff?

I once saw an interview with an old blind monk who said he thanked God for leaving him blind, for he was "sure that He let this happen for the good of [his] soul." I often think about this and how I might be the same. I know to the less religious it sounds like a coping mechanism, but I do believe it made me a better person. [At least compared to my brother, haha.] I am not always kind, I am not always gentle. With my disability I am completely harmless, entirely incapable of unassisted violence. Even now with some variety of weapons I am much more intimidating than I am capable. When I was younger and smaller though, I was not like this. I raised a more than a little Hell and I was violent towards others and the world around me. I was only a young, dumb, emotional child, not a real danger to anyone, but lashing out was the only way I had to deal with my emotions for a long time. Even as a teenager I was still physical towards objects. I had, or perhaps have, a temper that has bit me back more than once. The older I grew and the bigger I became, the more debilitating my disability became such that physical responses became progressively more unfeasible. Now as an adult, I don't really even posses the emotional capability for meaningful violence anymore. I'm a very good shot with a rifle, but I would not even shoot certain items without guilt.

I think because of everything that happened to me because of this disability, physically and emotionally, I became a better, stronger person. Quieter, calmer, more rational, and certainly a bit tougher. It changed my life to be born this way, and though I wish I never was I thank God for the betterment of my soul.

Words are not enough to understand my condition. It is only one rare disability almost no one has ever heard of, and yet somehow this sentiment is not nearly as rare. Life is hard enough as it is, living with a disability doesn't help it. If more people understood what disability is like and how fundamentally life-altering it can be for some, we might someday make things just a little bit easier.

Thanks for reading my post. Hopefully my anecdotes don't wear thin on the message. Though it sometimes may seem like it, I don't mean for everything to be caught up in one little box. Physical disability has very many forms and is only one of many ways a person's life and wellness can be impeded. Some dear friends of mine suffer from mental disabilities who deserve support just the same. My best friend cannot solve even very simple puzzles due to a brain injury and his brother's dyslexia is like another language when talking with text. To all my friends and furs and their loved ones with disabilites, my heart and support goes out to you. Even if we can't always see it, and even though we don't always know exactly what you might be going through, there are always people out there who understand what it's like to draw a bad hand in life. Hopefully next year we'll have moved a little bit further!

While I don't have disabilities (if you don't include autism, though as @Katara the Sergal once said, if us autistic folk who score higher on the spectrum could get the same disability benefits as autistic folk who scream incoherently or need a caretaker, that'd be great lol), I know many who do. And it's a real shame as a lot of them have been getting more and more screwed over by the US. A close online friend of mine who lives in WV has cerebral palsy and some other issues, so he gets SNAP benefits and housing and a few other things, but WV and other states have been recently making changes that essentially get rid of all of his disability benefits, which frustrates him and many others I know to no end. I sincerely hope that some day... any day... we'll actually have a government for once that actively does everything in its power to take care of its citizens.

Also, Halo MCC calls it "Disability Pride Month" and for some reason that doesn't sound right lol.

Words are not enough to understand my condition. It is only one rare disability almost no one has ever heard of, and yet somehow this sentiment is not nearly as rare. Life is hard enough as it is, living with a disability doesn't help it. If more people understood what disability is like and how fundamentally life-altering it can be for some, we might someday make things just a little bit easier.
....unfortunately, I find that in my case (growing up exposed to a number of disabilities, and being on the autism spectrum - I was in way worse shape in my youth, I've finally gotten a handle on a lot of it now), growing up with a disability (I would say the version from my childhood qualifies. Not so much now) has made me a bit irritable.

More specifically, there's several times I've tried to get federal help and couldn't because I "didn't look autistic". And the one time I got federal help (due to income some years back, nothing related to disability), it was some of the worst care I've ever seen!

Combined with how long I've seen it take for people to actually get benefits (two years for a simple wheelchair ramp in one case! I've helped build 8:1 ramps before, I could probably build the legally-required 12:1 ramp in a couple weeks given enough reason), it's left me with a case of "the government has absolutely zero place in disability treatment".

I'd rather do it myself, and find solutions for others to deal with it on smaller scales, than even consider having a government involved. And I realize this'll straight-up put me at odds with people like Jack, but it's just one of those cases where we'll probably never see eye-to-eye.

Speaking of which, Jack.... since it's unlikely we're changing the way WV and other states' legislatures think anytime soon, does that online friend of yours know of any cerebral palsy networks or charities in the state?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bunny Lvr and Punji
There might be such a thing, but I don't know. Might not be a bad idea, actually. But the guy who runs the low-income housing place where he lives, Dennis, is apparently pissed off. Because everyone's relying on him to help run the place, super nice guy and everything who cares about the residents, and the government who's supposed to be giving him the tools and support necessary to run it, is basically just giving Dennis the finger. So Dennis has been talking with my friend and the other residents to try to work something out.

In fact, before this, before my friend moved in there, he was living with his friend temporarily in Vermont. He spent literally years constantly filling out forms to try to get accepted into a place. I think it was late last year when he finally moved to his hometown in WV, but when he finally got a hold of Dennis to get things set up finally, Dennis checked out his records over the phone and went "Wait, what the fuck? Why have you been on the waiting list for years? You should've gotten a place within like a month, not years. Someone needs to be fired."

Not sure whatever happened with that. But Dennis felt bad and basically made sure my friend got a place ASAP. Kind of goes to show how little of a shit the government gives.

Invisible disabilities genuinely need more recognition. I have my own slew of issues, physical and mental, both disabling and just plain inconvenient, and the number one remark I always get is that I don't 'look' like I struggle with any of them (except severe dermatitis since that's kinda hard to hide =w='). The second most common is that most just don't believe it's as severe as I say it is, especially after seeking treatment that made it easier for me to do daily life activities. Usually the latter comes from people who've experienced occasional symptoms and came to the conclusion that my condition is the same exact thing.

I remember trying to have a conversation with my father (100% able-bodied) about one of my conditions, then undiagnosed and untreated. His response was that he knew someone in college who still got her degree despite having migraines and seizures, therefore I should be able to do the same. I'm sorry, but if your response to someone telling you that their disability is ruining their life is "I know someone sicker than you", you need to pause and seriously reconsider your idea of what disability looks like. I've since gotten treatment and am able to hold a job now but still have to work a schedule with ample days between shifts because of the frequency, unpredictability, and severity of my flare-ups or episodes. I'm so grateful that I found a job with a 2-2-3 schedule that fits that description without me needing to ask for that accommodation.

Then there's the internalized ableism that stops a lot of people from seeking the accommodations they need because we've been told so many times that we don't need them. My boyfriend and I both still struggle with that.

I don't believe that my conditions necessarily made me a 'better' person, but they've given me perspective that a lot of people lack, and I'm thankful for that. I just wish I didn't have to find a new neurologist every time I move houses =w='

• Love
Reactions: Bunny Lvr and Punji

Users who are viewing this thread