Firearms thread!

MooseHorns237

26 January 2024
Northwest U.S.A
I like pretty much all weaponry, but I LOVE antique firearms. I've been having an interest in my neighbors old muzzleloader for about three years, and a few days ago I asked him if I could buy it and he just gave it to me because he's pretty much lost his eyesight, so it's useless to him now. .54 caliber, tang/peep/vernier sights, octogon barrel, side caplock.

He bought it at an auction in unknown condition and never shot it, it was kept in his closet for years. It is probably late 70's manufacture, but that's only a best guess. I want to get a kentucky longrifle kit and a .303 british Lee Enfield as well at some point.

Because it was in unknown condition I took it apart in its entirety and cleaned and oiled each piece over the weekend, took notes and made illustrations as well. Now I understand not only where the adjustment screws are, but how they work.

Here's some photos; anyone else want to talk about firearms? Cool photos?

gun pieces.jpggun sketch.jpgmy livingroom.jpgRifle.jpg

I don't own any, also I'm a bit of a pacifist myself, but somewho I got all nerdy about old fire arms (probably due to video games and the UK's attempts to preserve parts of WW1 & 2's history which my Granddad always liked talking about since he worked on battleships in the navy), recently talked with UnknownAspect about our love for the STEN.

I could by no means talk about the mechanis behind it all though. Thats really neat you could take it apart, understand it and get it back into mint condition! Love the notes too. Do tell us if you ever fire it :D

I guess I'll just leave a random trivia fact: I always found it peculiar that Mozambique has an AK47 on it's flag

1280px-Flag_of_Mozambique.svg.png

I like pretty much all weaponry, but I LOVE antique firearms. I've been having an interest in my neighbors old muzzleloader for about three years, and a few days ago I asked him if I could buy it and he just gave it to me because he's pretty much lost his eyesight, so it's useless to him now. .54 caliber, tang/peep/vernier sights, octogon barrel, side caplock.

He bought it at an auction in unknown condition and never shot it, it was kept in his closet for years. It is probably late 70's manufacture, but that's only a best guess. I want to get a kentucky longrifle kit and a .303 british Lee Enfield as well at some point.

Because it was in unknown condition I took it apart in its entirety and cleaned and oiled each piece over the weekend, took notes and made illustrations as well. Now I understand not only where the adjustment screws are, but how they work.

Here's some photos; anyone else want to talk about firearms? Cool photos?

View attachment 8986View attachment 8987View attachment 8988View attachment 8989
The originals are literal 'Works of Art,' hand built and lovingly attended by those who could afford them. Respected and treated well by those whose very lives depended on them.
The modern day replicas have the advantage (Again, always presuming the Manufacturer warrants such respect/trust?) of our advances in metallurgy (ie, 'SAFETY'), and I know quite a few folks in our community (I call them 'Mtn. Men/Woman', 'cause that's literally what they are), into the black powder platforms. Mostly for 'Faires/Reenactments', but almost all of them still hunt/compete with them, so they take them seriously.

I'm curious about them, and hope to live long enough to actually own a few of my own before I'm turned to ash and scattered to the four winds?!

Users who are viewing this thread