Turn-Based Squad Strategy Games

Punji

21 December 2022
A genre of games I enjoy greatly is turn-based squad strategy games. They can offer quite a lot of differing mechanics and gameplay and have been very innovative across the genre. They've made for some of the greatest (or at least some of the most continuously fun) games I've played.

These are the XCOMs and the Darkest Dungeons and the like. I'm always keen to keep an eye out for these kind of games, so let's make a list! Always on the lookout for the next one.

-Achtung! Cthulhu Tactics
-Banners of Ruin
-Battle Brothers
-BattleTech
-Darkest Dungeon series
-Enemy
-Gears Tactics
-Heroes of Might and Magic series
-Jagged Alliance series
-Phantom Doctrine
-Phoenix Point
-Pit People
-Shadowrun series
-Silent Storm
---Silent Storm Sentinels
-This Is The Police 2
---Rebel Cops
-Urtuk: The Desolation
-Warhammer 40K series
-Wasteland series
-XCOM series
-Xenonauts series

Upcoming releases:
-Every Day We Fight (2024)
-WILD Tactics (TBA)

Some of these are better than others. Anything else to add to the list? I know there are others out there. One I saw once and could never find it again. 😥

Last edited:
Reactions: Yakamaru and Mambi
Disciples, particularly Disciples 2 (they've messed up number 3, unfortunately). An older game (but I seem to play only those, lol). A mix of HoMM strategic level with a twist: you don't just take over locations with your hero, your faction's influence needs to reach there, and the map gives cool visual identification of that with the terrain changing. And tactically, a turn-based squad strategy, but also with a neat twist. There are just a handful of unit types, but they have upgrade paths which take some serious consideration which one to use. And the whole look of a character changes when they level up, becoming more and more visually badass.

Users who are viewing this thread