A possible car "restoration" project

Pomorek

30 December 2022
I guess that "normally", such a topic would be more fitting on social media. But I'm not on social media and so I'm documenting it here.

Now, why possible? I don't know yet what the outcome is going to be. And why quotes: well, I'm not taking care of some fancy old-timer, but of my late dad's vehicle, which isn't too fancy - it's just old.

So it came to be that I inherited this Seat Toledo II sedan in dark blue color. I've never had a car before despite having a license since like forever, nor was I particularly interested. This feels like a challenge now, to be honest. But an interesting one.

It needs saying, my dad was awful at taking care of machines and devices. The car was just filthy inside, with cigarette ash in random places, spilled glue, a lot of sawdust (!) and cluttered with random stuff. It took me & my wife 2 afternoons to clean the interior. And it badly needs a visit at a car wash, gotta get around to it eventually - but since I never had a car, I feel a bit at loss regarding how does one wash it exactly!... Yeah, stupid thing to say, but that's how it is being me. :p

On the exterior, I'd say the paint has held really well, keeps being shiny and all - if not for plenty of scratches on the sides. In one location it's so bad that some rust started appearing. No idea what caused this, but dad was known for really sloppy parking, that's the likely answer. Also the left side mirror housing (not the mirror itself) must have been smashed at some point, and then glued together rather crudely. A prime candidate for exchange.

I can't say I have a knowledge how to wrench car-specific things, but otherwise, I consider myself rather handy with tools, and here's what I've done so far. The inner lining/cover of the trunk lid was coming off, now it doesn't. The drink holder in the central console was not opening, now it does (oddly satisfying). The ash/garbage tray below it was not closing, now it does. The CD player (yes, it has CD player) was wrongly connected, now it works. A small start but it is a start nonetheless.

I managed to find a mention that there was some sort of engine and possibly drivetrain overhaul done last year, but without any documented details. In any case, all working fluids seem to have correct levels. I drove the car around a little, and everything seems to work fine enough. The engine starts immediately, the gears shift as they should, the clutch is far less worn than what I anticipated based on dad's previous shitboxes, no strange noises or other symptoms. Overall, I'd say it drives better than it looks.

The immediate next step is to drive some more, to get acquainted with it better. Probably it wouldn't be anything noticeable in America, but for the local car standards and annoyingly narrow roads, it is pretty huge! So much that I keep checking the side mirrors to make sure I'm within a lane - normally I am with a safe margin, but it constantly feels I'm not. And I have trouble telling where exactly the front ends - so at the stop signs, I possibly stop bit too early, just to be on the safe side and not poke my front bumper into the road. Its size came in handy already though - a local supermarket had a massive discount on a type of garden hammock/swing thing we wanted to have, and a smaller vehicle (such as my sister's) wouldn't be able to transport the sizable box to my mom's property.

I'm planning to get the car to a shop, most likely the same which did that internal overhaul. For whatever they did, it clearly works. I'd like to have them check it thoroughly now and give me a verdict: is it headed to the junkyard soon, or can it serve for some more years? In the latter case, I'm willing to pay some for getting it to a nicer level. I've been taught driving on modern, well-kept cars; also it's not my style to keep a rusting shitbox. Sure, some might say it doesn't pay off investing anything into it - but since it came to me essentially free (except some tax), if it's salvageable, I won't resist the urge to make it properly mine - and that means, much better kept than so far.

Hell yeah, man. I say it a lot, and it's true - 25 years from now, a car that's 25 years old TODAY will be worth more than a car MADE today. These days, cars are becoming more and more complex and there's so much gadgets and computers and software and so much bullshit that's eventually going to fail, and when it does, it's all going to be obsolete, and there's going to be zero support. Cars today, certainly tomorrow, are a horrible investment in the long run. What you have now is gold! A car, that's actually a CAR, and from what brief few minutes of research I've done, it's apparently a solid and reliable car overall, and there's examples out there with quite a lot of mileage on them and still going. Rumor has it the timing belt may go out, and you have to make sure to use good gas (solid advice in general - don't put cheap gas you'd put in a shitty boat in your car if you want it to LAST), and honestly it's just small things here and there that aren't bad by design, they just break or wear down from age like they would on any car. It is a front wheel drive, so do make note of extra wear to the front tires and shocks and all that. Man, fix that old car up and keep it! Regardless of whose it was, it's a diamond in the rough. And as little as your father took care of it, it's living proof of its reliability and what I'm hearing about it. If you do have a problem with the car, it shares a lot of commonality with Volkswagens, so definitely seek someone specializing in those.

Hell yeah, man. I say it a lot, and it's true - 25 years from now, a car that's 25 years old TODAY will be worth more than a car MADE today. These days, cars are becoming more and more complex and there's so much gadgets and computers and software and so much bullshit that's eventually going to fail, and when it does, it's all going to be obsolete, and there's going to be zero support. Cars today, certainly tomorrow, are a horrible investment in the long run. What you have now is gold! A car, that's actually a CAR, and from what brief few minutes of research I've done, it's apparently a solid and reliable car overall, and there's examples out there with quite a lot of mileage on them and still going. Rumor has it the timing belt may go out, and you have to make sure to use good gas (solid advice in general - don't put cheap gas you'd put in a shitty boat in your car if you want it to LAST), and honestly it's just small things here and there that aren't bad by design, they just break or wear down from age like they would on any car. It is a front wheel drive, so do make note of extra wear to the front tires and shocks and all that. Man, fix that old car up and keep it! Regardless of whose it was, it's a diamond in the rough. And as little as your father took care of it, it's living proof of its reliability and what I'm hearing about it. If you do have a problem with the car, it shares a lot of commonality with Volkswagens, so definitely seek someone specializing in those.
I'm grateful for this encouragement you gave me! I must admit, I like the modern cars "stealth fighter" aesthetics, complete with glass cockpit and heads-up display on windshield. But I've seen enough mentions about their abysmal build quality to give me pause. And yeah, for example a modern car headlight was described as "a complex electromechanical device with dozens of parts" - this is like asking for malfunctions to happen, how complicated does a car light need to be?? In this Seat, it's literally a reflector, a front cover, backplate with wire clamps, halogen bulb retainers and electrical connectors. Not much more complicated than a desk lamp, and likely as unbreakable as one. Sure, there is a beam height adjustment mechanism, but it's on the outside of the whole thing, so even if it stopped working, the lights themselves would continue operating.

Also, moving important functions to touchscreens without tactile feedback is just plain stupid. And if I want a screen, my uncle already showed me an aftermarket display to be placed above the central console and connected to Android Auto app, for navigation & stuff. Some versions can even have rear cam & dashcam connected. Seems really practical.

When I read about the "modern" practices of automobile makers, I get the feeling that they're following the mal-practices of the gaming industry. Releasing an unfinished, bugged product, pushing the quality control onto users? Check. Functionalities locked behind a paywall, aka DLC? Check. So I can only agree, a car from before our current era of such shenanigans is something to be treasured.

I'm well aware that parts get worn out eventually. And I don't think that low-quality gas is much of a problem here, especially since we're in the European Union. Octane number 95 is the lowest it gets here, and this happens to be the grade this car requires... Yes, I've read the entire manual for it! Twice.

I haven't done anything new about the car yet, currently I'm occupied with the cat situation (she had her supper and is sleeping in my lap as I'm writing it). I'll be adding updates as they come.

Got myself a little something!
yip.jpg
Will be placed only after other things are done. A cherry on top if you will.

It's from the Texas-based Mugwump Studios by the way; I wanted to test if I can order merch from across the pond, and it worked without issues. At a low delivery cost and took two weeks, that's not too long, our local snail mail can get close to that too. Of course I ordered more decals and stickers in one go, but this one is intended for my car. Will go next to the rear plate.

The car goes to a shop ASAP. I was hoping to drive it around some more, but within maybe 20 minutes in total a nasty flaw revealed itself. The brake power seems to vary randomly in time. So much that it's hard to predict the length of stopping distance. Had it been a bike, I'd say it means air in the hydraulic lines.

Well, I've had an intuition that a machine which was kept in such filthy condition cannot be without some 'gotchas'...

Reactions: Bunny Lvr
"ASAP" turned out to be 3 weeks... But my opinion is that a shop which has such long waiting lines must be good - otherwise people wouldn't be flocking there like this.

Surprise surprise! The wait for the workshop was 3 weeks but the diagnostics & stage 1 repairs took only a day. There will be stage 2 but for that, stuff needs to be ordered, so I got the car back for now.

Stage 1 was the most pressing stuff, it turned out my feel about the brakes being freakishly inconsistent was no beginner's mistake. There was a damaged hydraulic line which caused pressure swings. Also the airbags had some issue, it's fixed now. Better yet, the price was very mild.

Stage 2 will encompass changing the tires as the current ones are old as hills. While the mechanic is at it, some suspension parts could use exchanging and will be dealt with at the same time.

Possible (and likely) stage 3 will need to be done at some different workshop which specializes in bodywork, to deal with corrosion hot-spots.

Diagnostics outcome is mostly good, except one worrying part. The door "thresholds" look suspicious from below. No obvious rust, but the mechanic is experienced and just claims something is off with them, they appear as if more wobbly/moving around than they should be. As this belongs to the bodywork department though, it needs to wait some more.

I'm glad to hear the ball is rolling and stuff is happening with a good, deserving old car getting a second chance at being something nice again you can be proud to own. Also very good to hear priorities are properly being addressed by relevance, the sketchy brakes/hydraulics being the first thing. Not good if you go to hit the brakes, and nothing happens! At least the car should be pretty much safe to drive now, besides the rain. Just don't go plowing through corners like you're in a rally like I do day to day!

Reactions: Pomorek
I'm glad to hear the ball is rolling and stuff is happening with a good, deserving old car getting a second chance at being something nice again you can be proud to own. Also very good to hear priorities are properly being addressed by relevance, the sketchy brakes/hydraulics being the first thing. Not good if you go to hit the brakes, and nothing happens! At least the car should be pretty much safe to drive now, besides the rain. Just don't go plowing through corners like you're in a rally like I do day to day!
Your comment got me thinking... The definite next thing to get soon are new tires. The worst thing with the current ones isn't even that they're worn (well, that too) but that they're warped. Not noticeable in city driving but at higher speeds vibration sets in.

And so, why are they warped? I did have this situation twice, I hit the brakes and very little is happening. I should have pulled the handbrake but I was so surprised that my first reaction was to stop the car by hitting the nearest curb. And now I wonder, how many such "emergency brakings" did the tires have to withstand before? There's no real answer to be had but I've seen dad occasionally performing some erratic maneuvers.

To be sure, I took a 30 minutes test drive yesterday and the brakes work as they should.

Haha, no cutting corners here for sure. But yeah, the steering is definitely a thing to take care of. My guess is that it has never been serviced and it feels quite stiff. So in the corners I'm reducing the speed quite a bit, being afraid I won't be able to turn the wheel fast enough.

Addendum. And a grumpy one.

Unfortunately, there has to be something that leaves me frustrated after every test drive longer than around the block. There's just so much wrong with it!

Now that the brakes work, it turned out that the engine cuts off randomly when the RPM goes low. Just having to reduce the speed a lot in order to take a turn can cause it to turn off. Even with the clutch all the way in! Super infuriating.

Honestly, I'd probably just say "screw it" if not for the fact that I'm not in a position to get anything radically better. Also my general situation hasn't changed, there's no necessity for me to have a car, it would just be a nice addition to the household - if it worked! So the subsequent repairs can wait for as long as necessary, budget-wise, no need to shell out all at once.

So maybe somewhere around the springtime I'll have it working... Just hope it won't rot to dust by itself in the meantime, I've seen enough to be unable to rule out such a scenario!

Welp, enough whimpering. It goes back to the shop on Tuesday.

In the meantime I had a good look at that side mirror. Turned out it can be disassembled, cleaned of the old glue and glued back properly. No need to buy another.

In the process it also turned out it can actually be folded! I thought it could not, but it turned out it was put together in some wrong way.

Addendum. And a grumpy one.

Unfortunately, there has to be something that leaves me frustrated after every test drive longer than around the block. There's just so much wrong with it!

Now that the brakes work, it turned out that the engine cuts off randomly when the RPM goes low. Just having to reduce the speed a lot in order to take a turn can cause it to turn off. Even with the clutch all the way in! Super infuriating.

Honestly, I'd probably just say "screw it" if not for the fact that I'm not in a position to get anything radically better. Also my general situation hasn't changed, there's no necessity for me to have a car, it would just be a nice addition to the household - if it worked! So the subsequent repairs can wait for as long as necessary, budget-wise, no need to shell out all at once.

So maybe somewhere around the springtime I'll have it working... Just hope it won't rot to dust by itself in the meantime, I've seen enough to be unable to rule out such a scenario!
Is this always in corners when it shuts off, or is it even when just driving straight and letting off the gas? If it's only ever in corners, this vaguely reminds me of a thing in 2nd gen Mitsubishi Eclipses called "crankwalk". I can't remember the specifics on it, so don't quote me for jack shit, but basically one of the engines those came with had an issue of shutting off when cornering, because the crankshaft is moving just a bit out of place inside. Also fucks up the internals of the engine over time, too. Either way, fuck! Come on, it was such a good car before this! Hopefully this turns out to be a very simple issue that's easy to fix, once it's actually diagnosed. That said, given the reputation of the car model, it's at least worth fixing, whatever the hell the problem is.

Is this always in corners when it shuts off, or is it even when just driving straight and letting off the gas? If it's only ever in corners, this vaguely reminds me of a thing in 2nd gen Mitsubishi Eclipses called "crankwalk". I can't remember the specifics on it, so don't quote me for jack shit, but basically one of the engines those came with had an issue of shutting off when cornering, because the crankshaft is moving just a bit out of place inside. Also fucks up the internals of the engine over time, too. Either way, fuck! Come on, it was such a good car before this! Hopefully this turns out to be a very simple issue that's easy to fix, once it's actually diagnosed. That said, given the reputation of the car model, it's at least worth fixing, whatever the hell the problem is.
Doesn't seem to be what you describe. It is connected to taking sharp turns when changing direction but happens before them when I slow down and reduce the gear. Not always either, but sometimes, making it hard to diagnose. Also seems to be actually triggered by braking. The strange part is that it happens even with the clutch all the way in.

I'm quite poorly informed about the details of car internals, but there is some pump providing brake power assist, drawing power/pressure from the engine. Logically, this seems to be likely culprit. Along with the engine having trouble attaining full power maybe - I have my suspicions regarding the fuel filter.

I know that gas does expire. The car was standing mostly unused for 8 months, 4 of which not touched at all. As the fuel was bit low, I took it for a refill. And then, when leaving the gas station, the engine power felt unexpectedly and inexplicably reduced! Again, by pure logical guess, if the old fuel managed to cause any fouling in the tank, it might have been swept up by the new fuel and made its way to the filter (I would have attempted to change it myself by now if not for the fact that it requires access from below).

The situation seemed to have improved after a couple of kilometers but I can't really tell if the engine is back to full power or not quite.

Doesn't seem to be what you describe. It is connected to taking sharp turns when changing direction but happens before them when I slow down and reduce the gear. Not always either, but sometimes, making it hard to diagnose. Also seems to be actually triggered by braking. The strange part is that it happens even with the clutch all the way in.

I'm quite poorly informed about the details of car internals, but there is some pump providing brake power assist, drawing power/pressure from the engine. Logically, this seems to be likely culprit. Along with the engine having trouble attaining full power maybe - I have my suspicions regarding the fuel filter.

I know that gas does expire. The car was standing mostly unused for 8 months, 4 of which not touched at all. As the fuel was bit low, I took it for a refill. And then, when leaving the gas station, the engine power felt unexpectedly and inexplicably reduced! Again, by pure logical guess, if the old fuel managed to cause any fouling in the tank, it might have been swept up by the new fuel and made its way to the filter (I would have attempted to change it myself by now if not for the fact that it requires access from below).

The situation seemed to have improved after a couple of kilometers but I can't really tell if the engine is back to full power or not quite.
Where is that character from My Cousin Vinny when you need them? She'd figure out the issue in about three seconds.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3nGQLQF1b6I

On a serious note, I did look up some stuff earlier, and old gas that's been sitting a long time CAN cause stalling in the engine, among a bunch of other bad stuff I never actually realized. Meanwhile, my old truck sat for about half a year at my grandparents' house when they had passed just to make it look like there were people there; only ever started it once or twice during that time, never actually drove it in that time, just started it and let it run for a minute or two, and it ran just fine when I drove it back out of there half a year later.

Users who are viewing this thread