Newcomer Duck!

Marius Merganser

Duke of Birds
Supporter
28 December 2022
New Jersey
flickr.com
Greetings from New Jersey!

When not working in tech support, I'm usually out photographing birds if the weather is nice. Otherwise, I'm running DnD campaigns, watching movies/cartoons, or writing.

My duck 'sona is Marius, the red-breasted merganser. (RBMs are my favorite bird, and he's named after Marius Pontmercy from Les Miserables, my favorite musical.)

I came from FA when the forum migrated to Discord, but haven't been active publicly. I figured the reset is a good excuse to get more involved.

Yeah I've seen you on here plenty of times, just never really understood why you never seemed to do much lol, more just kind of hopping online in the sidelines for a while.

Woah! That's insane! The naming is also very appreciated :D I've only recently gotten very casual into bird watching, bought a pair of military binoculars, those photos must've taken an immense amount of patience and restraint (or a bloody good zoom).

Woah! That's insane! The naming is also very appreciated :D I've only recently gotten very casual into bird watching, bought a pair of military binoculars, those photos must've taken an immense amount of patience and restraint (or a bloody good zoom).

Thanks!
For every one of the good ones, there's at least 50 terrible ones.
It's not too hard to find them in the right places and times but having a 65x optical zoom helps.

What kind of binoculars you have?

Oh I could imagine! Finding the best one out of the bunch is probably hard work too!
Ah neat :D that's what I love about it, you learn their habitats and I could imagine your knowledge of birdsongs is impeccable (pun intended, but the message too!)

I'm not at home at the moment, but I found a picture of them. The description reads 8x30 binoculars. feldstecher08x30armee1_800x800.jpg

Oh I could imagine! Finding the best one out of the bunch is probably hard work too!
Ah neat :D that's what I love about it, you learn their habitats and I could imagine your knowledge of birdsongs is impeccable (pun intended, but the message too!)

I'm not at home at the moment, but I found a picture of them. The description reads 8x30 binoculars.

It's more fun to go back through the pics you've taken and see how they really came out in full resolution compared to the 2 inch LCD.

I only know a few songs of the most common species around, but I have recorded some songs and generated spectrograms to "see" they sound like.

8x30 should be just fine.

Alright, I believe you there!

Oh, what motivated you to look at the soundwaves :D? Thats pretty cool.

They serve me well :3 though one thing I do wonder is that I've seen a few people using a large Monoculars (I think Telescope would be the wrong word, right?) Instread of binoculars. Are those the more advanced option?

Oh, what motivated you to look at the soundwaves :D? Thats pretty cool.

I think I saw a recent documentary about some researchers who were compiling a library of the audio and wanted to try it.

They serve me well :3 though one thing I do wonder is that I've seen a few people using a large Monoculars (I think Telescope would be the wrong word, right?) Instread of binoculars. Are those the more advanced option?

Monoculars are half a binocular; which are just lighter, more portable, and cheaper.
The bigger telescope things are spotting scopes. They provide high optical zoom but are really only good for more stationary birds. I got a low end one awhile back and I stopped using it because its bulky and a pain to carry it around with the required tripod. A light breeze is enough to cause the image to shake and unless you shell out a lot of money, I don't think it's worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread