How far away from any major city are you?

Simo the Skunk

28 December 2022
Just before the pandemic hit, I made the decision to move back to the place I grew up, in rural northern Michigan, after a good deal of time out east; what I hadn't fully anticipated or recalled, was how remote it is up here, how far from any big cities, and how cut off (almost like an island) it is, due to the Great Lakes.

From here, it takes about 3.5 hours to reach a city of over 100,000 people and about 4.5 hours to reach Detroit...it's definitely been a challenge, living in a place that's so cut off from people.

How about everyone else? How close are you to what's called civilization?

Last edited:
I'd say 40 minutes to reach one of the major cities in my state. Been that way for most of my life.

I'd like to make it closer to 15-20 minutes in the near future, but no closer than that. I still need some isolation here...

Reactions: Simo the Skunk
The closest city to me is 4 miles down the road (population 56,000 in less than 6 square miles.).
There are only four cities in New Jersey with 100,000+ people and the closest of those is 30 miles away.

New York City (population 8.3 million) is about 40 miles away.
I have to go there once a week for work. It's about 2.5 hours commute each way on average.

New Jersey has the highest population density so it's not easy to escape civilization.

My parents nearest neighbor is a mile down the rutted dirt road.

My town has 300 people.

County capital has 1'000 people and is 45 minutes away.

Nearest city with 100'000 people is 300 miles or four and a half hours away.

Nearest major U.S city is Denver at 400 miles, 6 hours.

My parents nearest neighbor is a mile down the rutted dirt road.

My town has 300 people.

County capital has 1'000 people and is 45 minutes away.

Nearest city with 100'000 people is 300 miles or four and a half hours away.

Nearest major U.S city is Denver at 400 miles, 6 hours.
Wow, and I thought this place was isolated!

There is a certain comfort in it, at the same time, the older I get, the less hopeful I am about the human race in general (call me a pessimist), so maybe it is not all bad to live so far away from most of them. But at the same time, as something of that rare extroverted furry....geez, I miss folks to hang out with, and talk to, though.

I feel you, just hopping out of your house, walking down the road a bit and getting to meet people in a city if you feel like it, is so valuable!

A 100'000 City is around 50 km (31 miles) away from where I live. Population here is apparently 5'000

Closest major city is a 2.5-3 hour drive (depends how fast you go), then the next major city is the capital of my home country, which is 12 hours away from me!

I wish I could go more there, but the travel always tires me out so much, hahah!

If we’re talking car travel, it takes about 2 hours for a drive to the closest +100,000 city from here. An extra half if you go by bus. And the capital of my state, where I used to live, would be 3-4 hours distant.

Honestly though, I’m glad that I don’t live there anymore.

Reactions: Wuff-Wuff
I feel like living in a smaller town with good connections to a city is the best :3 you can retreat, have nature around you and still get to go to a city if you feel like it

Reactions: Guifrog
I'm about 10-15 minutes from a tiny "blink and you miss it" rural town I rarely go to, about 25-30 minutes from a somewhat bigger "interstate" town that I mainly go to when I need to go grocery shopping, and then about 35-45 minutes from a significant city that I go to daily during the week to go to work.

Just before the pandemic hit, I made the decision to move back to the place I grew up, in rural northern Michigan, after a good deal of time out east; what I hadn't fully anticipated or recalled, was how remote it is up here, how far from any big cities, and how cut off (almost like an island) it is, due to the Great Lakes.

From here, it takes about 3.5 hours to reach a city of over 100,000 people and about 4.5 hours to reach Detroit...it's definitely been a challenge, living in a place that's so cut off from people.

How about everyone else? How close are you to what's called civilization?
Closest major city would be Portland.

I strive to never venture close to it, and greatly prefer/enjoy living as far from major clusters of people as I can!

:-)

Users who are viewing this thread