Pet Peeves

Punji

21 December 2022
What really grinds your gears?

Personally I really hate membership clubs and services which provide literally nothing beyond a facility for patrons and users to operate within their own means and yet dictate a bunch of pointless constraining rules. They contribute nothing but a building or website and demand everyone follow arbitrary rules while giving nothing in return. Paying customers and exclusive sources of income are held to whatever standard the business wants.

These are things like Patreon for example, which provide virtually nothing but a website for users, yet they enforce arbitrary rules and take a chunk of the profit while doing so. These businesses ought to get knocked down a couple pegs if you ask me.

What other little things annoy you?

How people treat pizza.

According to most people (at least in america) all pizza needs:
Peperoni/sausage/chicken (at least one kind of meat which is annoying as a vegetarian)
A massive amount of mozzarella cheese that feels rubbery and slimy and nasty af
toppings are limited to only a few kinds of vegetable.

It is literally thin, crusty, flat bread that you bake, generally with a sauce and cheese and then whatever you want on it.
How I treat pizza:
Any kind of sauce (blueberry jam? Yup. Applesauce? Yup. Pesto? Yup. Butter only, Olive oil? Yup.)
Different kinds of cheese (Feta, gouda, parmesan... deli slices??)
Toppings: Whatever the hell is in the kitchen!

I've put beans, sun dried tomato, over whelming amounts of olive and garlic, Ritz crackers, oreos, oats, eggplant... What else can you put on it?

Do you get it? Pizza is the most versatile dish, like sandwiches, yet people limit it's potential so much!

Littering on nature trails! It makes no sense...someone comes out of their way to get to a beautiful place specifically for it's clean natural look...then proceeds to wreck it for themselves and everyone else rather than just take their crap back or place it in a designate spot?? AAUUGGHHH!!! Nothing drive me madder than climbing an hour on some remote water fall just to see a beer can and a chip bag waiting at the summit!!!

@Mambi People are lazy, which makes them very much like other animals.

I have a neatness thing....so everything has to go in a certain place. Don't touch my things, bro

Okay for me it is.

1. Peopel that speak in a no-speaking zone on public trains.
2. Peopel who want to argue with me after I asked them nice and relaxed to respect the no speaking rules
3. Peopel that just ignore me like I am not there after I ask.
4. Peopel that use their camera in the theater.
5. Peopel that speak in the theater during a play there the audience is not involved.
6. Food delivery men who do not understand just leave my food at the door
7. As a volunteer in a cinema. A customer wants to talk about price of the ticket.
8. Customer asks if we can turn down the sound.
9. People who ask me about football or handball even if they know I do not enjoy or watch it.
10. Bacon...i do not like it so yes you can have mine
11. Tomatos ....Yes you can have it too
12. Beer...unless its a ice-cold wheat beer

Uff, yeah, it fills me with anxiety when a friend sitting next to me at a more quiet concert or theatre starts a conversation during the performance, even if it's just whispered. I'm stuck between
"Do I acknowledge the conversation, perhaps with a nod, to make them feel heard, or do I just ignore them the best as I can and actually enjoy the show?"

XD its the worst

This is probably gonna ruffle some feathers, I intend no harm. One thing I really hate is this stupid idea people have about introverts. The whole "introverts recharge their batteries" bullshit is just that, in my opinion. The vast majority of "introverts" are just extroverts with social anxiety.

For myself I have been described as a "true" introvert and I'm quite inclined to agree. Personally I can and have gone weeks without speaking to more than a single other person and I don't have problems talking to strangers or spending a long period of time in the company of other people. The few who know me well enough will say I have energy to burn and can talk at length about nearly any subject with limitless passion to anyone listening for hours at a time. Like most people, past and present work and obligations have had me sat in a position of dealing with a lot of people throughout the day. Customer service, chef de partie, professional email-sender, dispatched to large public institutions, life is about dealing and interacting with other people and as adults we are expected to be able to do that. Most people can without issue.

So when my best friend of 12 years talks about wanting to visit for a week and says he plans to take a day off in the middle to "recharge his batteries" I can't help but scoff. This guy loves to talk and will talk to anyone about anything. Often he talks to me out of the blue about what he's having for lunch. We have spent literally hundreds of hours together, sometimes playing games together all day for multiple days in a row. His idea of "recharging" is to go indoor rock climbing. Why in the fuck does he need to "recharge" after being alone with me for a few days?

He says he's an introvert but he's one of the most extroverted people I know. When he visits a foreign country he stays in a hostel and shares a room with multiple strangers. If it was legal I'd open-carry a shotgun and yet somehow he's the one who needs to recharge? Give me a break man.

At the very least, the concept of introversion & extroversion is much more nuanced than just how a person "recharges his batteries" and the oversimplication is a diservice.

Also computers. I fucking hate computers holy shit.

I think Extro/Introvertism is a spectrum, but I can imagine it being just a tiiiiny bit annoying if someone so clearly extroverted keeps using the "recharge my batteries" trope. I guess we all have to at some point 🙊

Reactions: Jazz and Punji
I hate when a music video opens with like 30-60+ seconds of crap before the music starts. Of course it matters as it relates to the overall art of a music video but as far as just listening to the music (and especially in a playlist) it's quite annoying to have a long break for silence, conversations, or various background noises.

"PC Master Race" folk alway bug me.
I pay £500 for a console and the PC user will pay £1000 or even £1500 for their PC and we're still playing the exact same games. The PC isn't guaranteed to run the game, has potentially terrible DRM, takes up more room space, you need to sit at a desk in a specific chair, constantly needs expensive upgrades bought and installed and, I don't care what anyone says, KB&M suck for any game genre that isn't an RTS.
How is that superior? Is it a coping method so they don't feel like complete rubes for spending two or three times as much money to play the same game others are playing? Also, when Yahtzee did the whole PC Master Race thing, I'm pretty sure he was making fun of the exact people who unironically use the term.

I hate facial hair. Wish I could just grab it and rip it all off and be done with it.

Always gotta be constantly shaving my face and throat and then all the scratchy stubble, bleh.

Delays, specifically events that start 1 hour (or more) later than originally planned, and the fact that this is the norm in my regional culture. Somehow, despite having been raised here, I wasn’t able to adapt to it

Reactions: Wuff-Wuff and Punji
This is pretty mild (& comes from both folks being polite), but that moment you get to a stop sign at the same time as another car/person, and now you’re both waving at the other to go. Now it’s awkward and each person is going then stopping and urg 😭

• Haha
Reactions: Wuff-Wuff
I feel you Jazz!

Also Guifrog you reminded me of one there; encores at a concert. I get it that one is the norm, but sometimes you'll have 4 in a row! Why not make it part of the show at that point? You could add it to the concert length time, people could organise themselves around it, but no.

On Sunday I was at a classical concert and people did the encore clap thing. The orchestra didn't give us anything, no movement of a famous piece or anything. It was so refreshing!

Reactions: Jazz
I'm 18, in high school, people kept saying I should join the basketball team. I'm a 6' 2" male who has zero interest in any sports. And the fact that people keep pressuring me to join, only makes me not want to do it even more.

• Sad
Reactions: Punji and Wuff-Wuff
Aww man that sucks Finn. Sports can be good, keeps you healthy and helps ones self esteem, but being forced into it is no good! I've let myself be persuaded into things and it mostly never turned out good.

Do what you feel is right Finn :3 People love a bit of manipulation, often thinking they're doing you a favour too, so it's not in bad faith, but if you say no, then that's that. Has to be out of your own wants.

Aww man that sucks Finn. Sports can be good, keeps you healthy and helps ones self esteem, but being forced into it is no good! I've let myself be persuaded into things and it mostly never turned out good.

Do what you feel is right Finn :3 People love a bit of manipulation, often thinking they're doing you a favour too, so it's not in bad faith, but if you say no, then that's that. Has to be out of your own wants.
Yeah. I work out every afternoon when I get home. I also usually ride my bike down the street a few times. I find no need to do sports I'm already in the school band.

Reactions: Wuff-Wuff

Users who are viewing this thread