Regarding the forum breach, restructuring etc etc

Dopy

Staff member
Founder
Supporter
30 September 2016
As you have no doubt noticed by now if you're reading this thread we got breached last night.

First and foremost I want to make clear that No user data has been stolen, only deleted. Your passwords are safe, however it is always good practice to change your passwords after any sort of breach!

What happened?
Last night one of Furrypile's admins had their account compromised due to a data breach of another website.
The person that did this was targeting another staff member. Both of these staff members have had their accounts disabled until I can personally verify with them that they have regained control and properly secured their accounts.

They defaced staff accounts, the website, deleted random users entirely, sent out mass emails and deleted all the forums and posts. Basically everything that their admin access allowed them to abuse they abused.

Backups?
Furrypile used to be backed up on a daily basis to my business google drive account. However as anyone active here has noticed, FP has taken a huge back seat for quite some time in my life due to getting older and getting more responsibilities in real life and all that jazz.
So I at some point switched from a business google drive account to a personal one, and never remembered to set up the backup system for FP again, the business google drive account is long gone. Effectively meaning there are no backups.

The restructure/plan/etc

• All our licenses have been renewed thanks to our wonderful donators and the forums/server is almost fully updated. Some plugins still need an update but will get one asap.
  • Hourly backups are set up and working.
  • All staff besides @Calmcacil and myself have been removed. Those who want to stay will have to actually be active.
  • New staff will be brought on in the coming weeks.
  • All staff is now required to use 2-fa on their account (and honestly I would suggest all members enable 2-fa)
  • The forums have been condensed to the essentials, new ones will be added over time based on suggestions.
  • New themes, features etc are a possibility.
  • Registrations are disabled for the time being but will be re-opened in due time.

Awesome <3
Thank you for all the hard work, the space for thoughts and suggestions, and the timely reaction!

Reactions: Fcomega121
Huh, was wondering where the art section went but now I understand if there's restructuring.
We will slowly be re-adding categories over time/ as we rebuild. If you'd like to see specific categories please post them in the suggestions subforum.
Speaking of, where even was Cal prior to this? He disappeared for what seemed to be a long time, either that or he just hid his status until now.
Calm is basically the tech person besides me, he does most of his work behind the scenes.

Reactions: Blödhgarm
Yeah...a lot of damage done but I'm glad the pile still exists. It's been part of my life for so long I'd feel lost without it. Also glad PMs didn't get nuked as I think some missing character details I'm lacking are hidden in there somewhere. Just hoping when my roster is back to true normal I don't forget any of the stragglers.

Yeah, there's a nice appeal about a forum as like ours it can be quite a nice community or family like feel which you can't find elsewhere on the net. Also I've been meaning to clean up my roster for a while so if anything I can try to add back as many as I can but I can also flush out them all out some too. So hey a positive note to everything lol

I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone who wanted to see this place stay intact. For those of us who pulled together during such a massive blow, it proves that no matter how active some of us may or may not be, there are truly those who want to save one of the last great forums open to those of a like mind like us.

And to Dopy for, unlike some others who we haven’t seen hide nor hair of, actually swooping in and taking care of this site and its community. Its great to have someone overhead who genuinely cares about everything.

I’m glad this wasn’t the end.

Damn, breach is a serious deal for admins. That's crazy.
Whoever did this needs more then a slap on the wrist.
Thanks for the effort everyone!

Also, any ideas on how to get more furries on here? Can we advertise on FA?

Users who are viewing this thread