Dragoneer has passed away

May he rest in peace. I have some grievances with how he ran FA, but at the end of the day it was his choice in those matters.

I wish his family well in this time of grief and someone who were well known in the fandom.
I think most people had quite a few grievances with how FA was ran/not ran.

At the end of the day he still provided a huge service to the furry community and allowed countless artists to be discovered and make a full time living off of furry art.

He also passed away because of a total failure of the US health care system, which is absolutely disgusting.

He also passed away because of a total failure of the US health care system, which is absolutely disgusting.
I've lost those I've cared about as well due to the US health care system. It's nuts to me how people here don't think there's any issues with our current system. Especially when it comes to insurance companies.

How did Dragoneer pass away?

I've lost those I've cared about as well due to the US health care system. It's nuts to me how people here don't think there's any issues with our current system. Especially when it comes to insurance companies.

How did Dragoneer pass away?
As far as I'm aware he had fevers for over a month. Had issues with his lungs. Went in for a CT scan and was served with a 25k bill for "inconclusive results". They called him a few days later to have him come in again to see if he could qualify for some assistance (Medicaid?) And when he said that he couldn't come in because he was literally unable to move at that point they said that they'd be closing his file due to not cooperating.

I had a close friend back in high school, Thomas, who passed away right before our graduation from an infection because his family's insurance provider continuously delayed and delayed, so he couldn't get treatment until it was too late. His family tried to sue, but apparently didn't have a case (fine print bullshit essentially). I haven't heard from his family since 2021-2022, many years after he passed, I don't think anything happened with their lawsuit, but it must fucking suck for sure. I never understood what the point was in paying for insurance every month or every year, sending them essentially wads of cash so they can cover you when you need it, but then when you need them to cover you they're always going to find every possible way to weasel out. Where the fuck is that money even going then?

Luckily, some states have enacted bills that are going after some (emphasis on "some", it's just some of the many issues plaguing our system) of the corporate practices insurance companies use to delay and deny insurance to Americans. But I don't know if it'll end up being enough in the long run.

Best wishes to Dragoneer's family. I can only imagine how stressed they must be right now dealing with this.

Last edited:
I think most people had quite a few grievances with how FA was ran/not ran.

At the end of the day he still provided a huge service to the furry community and allowed countless artists to be discovered and make a full time living off of furry art.

The US health system isn't exactly something to brag about being pro-profit, like Big Pharma. Private is more effective than public but the sheer greed is insane.

I wouldn't know half of the furries I do if it was not for Dragoneer. People always loved to heap criticism on him, but he did a ton of work for the fandom while getting very little in return. I have always had massive respect for him for that.

Also, totally agree that his death was a ridiculous, entirely preventable tragedy. One that would not have happened had he lived over this side of the pond, to be frank.

"can't sleep. Lungs will eat me."

I just noticed this bit in a picture in the Twitter/X post and... HOLY SHIT, that is one of the most terrifying sentences I've heard in a long while.

Seeing the way 'Neer was done dirty by the healthcare system is heartbreaking.

As far as I'm aware he had fevers for over a month. Had issues with his lungs. Went in for a CT scan and was served with a 25k bill for "inconclusive results". They called him a few days later to have him come in again to see if he could qualify for some assistance (Medicaid?) And when he said that he couldn't come in because he was literally unable to move at that point they said that they'd be closing his file due to not cooperating.
The US health system isn't exactly something to brag about being pro-profit, like Big Pharma. Private is more effective than public but the sheer greed is insane.

...you know what, I absolutely refuse to call this "greed".

Anytime someone calls this kind of thing "greed", I am reminded of the following quote:

"You don't kill the people you're stealing from. You want them alive and productive so you can steal from them again and again."

Whoever closed that file on 'Neer is utterly incompetent and should not be anywhere near the healthcare profession - and unfortunately the US healthcare system is rife with incompetence too.

Last edited:
"can't sleep. Lungs will eat me."

I just noticed this bit in a picture in the Twitter/X post and... HOLY SHIT, that is one of the most terrifying sentences I've heard in a long while.

Seeing the way 'Neer was done dirty by the healthcare system is heartbreaking.

Anytime someone calls this kind of thing "greed", I am reminded of the following quote:

"You don't kill the people you're stealing from. You want them alive and productive so you can steal from them again and again."

Whoever closed that file on 'Neer is utterly incompetent and should not be anywhere near the healthcare profession - and unfortunately the US healthcare system is rife with incompetence too.
This isn't greed, this is murder.

This isn't greed, this is murder.
Agreed. Pretty much the only reason I brought up "greed" was because I thought I saw it mentioned, and it turns out it was mentioned here:

I frankly don't need to say any more on the "greed" subject.

As I've already mentioned that whoever closed the file shouldn't be anywhere near healthcare.

As I've already mentioned that whoever closed the file shouldn't be anywhere near healthcare.
I can personally attest from experience it's not the first time that's ever happened, and it certainly won't be the last. It pisses me off to no end knowing I've lost those dear to me from things that were so easily preventable, but Big Pharma just said "nah, go fuck yourself".

If the family started a lawsuit I'd be more than willing to donate what I could. I'm sick and tired of seeing this happen to people with no repercussions.

Well, apparently now, besides the death of the dragon, his family also has a debt for "treatment" ~25k+? I assume, because that any debts "we" have are transferred to relatives after death. I hope I'm wrong about that. This is the least that should be when the patient has not been helped.

Not so long ago I saw a magazine from on Fa user, where the bill for the provision of services during the week was the same. What is this, if not madness. A devastating reality. You either don't ask for help, or you do, but it will cost you and your relatives all the money for years to come. I mean, obviously most people won't even go to the hospital with their problems, I wouldn't go myself.

It's so typical and painful.

in Dragoneer's case it's obviously incompetence. I was speaking in general of the American healthcare system, which is Corporatist in nature like Big Pharma.

And if I remember correctly Dragoneer weren't exactly the healthiest person around.

Well, apparently now, besides the death of the dragon, his family also has a debt for "treatment" ~25k+? I assume, because that any debts "we" have are transferred to relatives after death. I hope I'm wrong about that. This is the least that should be when the patient has not been helped.

Not so long ago I saw a magazine from on Fa user, where the bill for the provision of services during the week was the same. What is this, if not madness. A devastating reality. You either don't ask for help, or you do, but it will cost you and your relatives all the money for years to come. I mean, obviously most people won't even go to the hospital with their problems, I wouldn't go myself.

It's so typical and painful.
I'm pretty sure the debt goes to the estate.

A friend indirectly introduced me to FA six years ago, and that was my first point of contact with the whole fandom. With that, being somewhat averse to things like Facebook, Twitter etc. at that time, I wouldn't have known any of the furries I do, were it not for Dragoneer's work. Brazilian media was still catching up to what "furry" even was.

It feels unreal to hear this all of a sudden

A sad time indeed. Like many others, Furaffinity was my first exposure to the community.

I cannot pretend the UK health system is better, but the thought of having such steep bills for what was provided, and then for that person to lose their life over such horrid conduct, simply terrifies me.

I now see where snake oil salesmen get their market from, the desperate and the rejected.

Users who are viewing this thread