Fun Facts About Your Country

At least he was entertaining, just sad watching your current dementia patient fuck up so bad.

Both are equally shitty choices tbh.

Well since we already arrived at politics, here's a fun political fact:

Switzerland does not have a single president. It does have a federal president, but that's a purely representative role, without additional political power.

The executive in Switzerland consists of the federal council, with seven members. Those are elected by the national assembly (both parliamentary chambers which are elected by the people).

The legislative is similar to the US parliament, with the small chamber representing the 26 cantons (= states), and the big chamber representing the people.

Can we do one like this, but opposite? I don't know about you, but I'm big into xenophobia these days. :v
a facehugger stomps out angrily

th.jpg

Since we're getting into foods now, here is some Kalakukko, from the Savonia region of Finland. It's basically baked bread with fish filling, yep.

My grandmother used to bake these all the time back when she was alive, the fish was never the highlight for me, but the crust was delicious, haha. I would always just ask to eat the crust and ignore the fish, to the annoyance of my grandmother :D

Can we do one like this, but opposite? I don't know about you, but I'm big into xenophobia these days. :v
You're a moron, so no wonder >:V
Are those for real or have I been hugging you too long?? <tilts head confused but amused>
Indeed it is a thing. Quite a few restaurants served brigadeiro (basically chocolate + condensed milk) pizzas in the capital of my state, when I lived there. Also square ones:

1712151805813.png

This is not exclusive to pizza. If you travel to São Paulo, you will find restaurants serving all sorts of sushi types with banana, strawberry slices, nutella, guava paste...

sushi types with banana, strawberry slices, nutella, guava paste...
face spontaneously flows around head so that it is now on the back of the head, from all the nope

Although I probably shouldn't judge, since I come from the land of:
13-3-5236348.jpg

This is Mämmi, which you are supposed to eat during Easter. I am not happy about that.

As wikipedia puts it, it is made of water, rye flour, ground malted rye, salt, and dried, ground Seville orange zest. The mixture is then left to sweeten naturally, before being baked in an oven until set, by which time the colour and flavour has developed due to the Maillard reaction. After baking, the mämmi is chilled for three to four days before serving.

Thanks a lot, anthro mallards. See what you have done with your precious reaction.
Seriously, this is a colour and flavor that I personally could have done well without, I have always hated this vile stuff 😅

A food that Meta doesn't like O: ?! Is the universe safe from collapsing?

But man, that does look rather vile xD poor younger Meta who was probably forced to eat it every easter.

Switzerland has a few nice dishes (we get the square Pizzas too @Guifrog but more as ready bake dough and not so much in restaurants).
One of my favourite was when they were like:
"Hmmh, these Italians with their pasta are on to something, but somethings missing... what kind of stereotype do we have again? Oh yeah!"

1280px-%C3%84lplermagronen_2021.jpeg

Tada! And thus the Älplermakkaronen was invented! As you can see it's often served with Apple sauce and is basically just pasta baked with some cheese, potato cubes and onions for good measure. Some people like to add bacon cubes, but I've stopped eating meat like 10 years ago now and thus I'm....

Hey wait, no! Where did everyone go D: I swear I won't make you feel bad about your food choices with my moral superiority! ... Ehm I mean food choices!

(PS, just because I love this one: "What is the only thing a vegetarian kill? The mood!")

A food that Meta doesn't like O: ?! Is the universe safe from collapsing?

But man, that does look rather vile xD poor younger Meta who was probably forced to eat it every easter.

Switzerland has a few nice dishes (we get the square Pizzas too @Guifrog but more as ready bake dough and not so much in restaurants).
"Hmmh, these Italians with their pasta are on to something, but somethings missing... what kind of stereotype do we have again? Oh yeah!"

Tada! And thus the Älplermakkaronen was invented! As you can see it's often served with Apple sauce and is basically just pasta baked with some cheese, potato cubes and onions for good measure. Some people like to add bacon cubes, but I've stopped eating meat like 10 years ago now and thus I'm....

Hey wait, no! Where did everyone go D: I swear I won't make you feel bad about your food choices with my moral superiority! ... Ehm I mean food choices!

(PS, just because I love this one: "What is the only thing a vegetarian kill? The mood!")
I will never understand how the hell apple sauce fits to this. The same as Hörnli und Ghackets.
Both Älplermakkaronen and Hörnli und Ghackets are really nice, but really only without apple sauce. Ewww... ^^

• Wow
Reactions: metatherat
face spontaneously flows around head so that it is now on the back of the head, from all the nope

Although I probably shouldn't judge, since I come from the land of:
13-3-5236348.jpg

This is Mämmi, which you are supposed to eat during Easter. I am not happy about that.

As wikipedia puts it, it is made of water, rye flour, ground malted rye, salt, and dried, ground Seville orange zest. The mixture is then left to sweeten naturally, before being baked in an oven until set, by which time the colour and flavour has developed due to the Maillard reaction. After baking, the mämmi is chilled for three to four days before serving.

Thanks a lot, anthro mallards. See what you have done with your precious reaction.
Seriously, this is a colour and flavor that I personally could have done well without, I have always hated this vile stuff 😅
I thought that was some sort of chocolate paste with a very rough consistency, but seeing that description brought me mixed feelings of disgust and interest, then again I'm Brazilian and shouldn't be one to talk :V

But I would try that, for the sake of curiosity.

Oh, let's just be frogs, eat fried crickets together and throw the whole to-be-veg-or-not-to-be-veg discussion away OwO

xD sorry Guifrog, I didn't want to get people nervous :D Don't worry!

eyes twitch in indignant moral superiority

(damn it I should stop making jokes. Alright, facts, you want them? They're yours my friend!)

Did you know that for most people outside of Switzerland "swiss cheese" is simply the "Emmentaler Käse". Named after Emma Watson, the most popular Harry Potter character around here.
Emmental in Switzerland :3 Canton Bern. A hilly landscape comprising the basins of the rivers Emme and Ilfis
1280px-Emmentaler_Premier_Cru.jpg

Ironically, (and I'm not sure Thrashy will agree on this with me), it's the most blandest, boringest, cheese we have! McDonalds french fries have more taste! .... ok it's not that bad, sorry, I went way too far there. But if we compare it to beauties like the Gruyere

1024px-Gruyere_alpage_th_wa.jpg

[Cue "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt, who certainly didn't cut this cheese, because he's blunt]

And many many many more (mayble I'll add a few more later, there's way too many I've just realised) then it pales in comparison!

and I'm not sure Thrashy will agree on this with me
*Organises an angry mob of Emmental farmers that are coming for you, angrily holding up hayforks! xP

Nah there's better cheese. It's not bad, but there's tastier cheese here. Although there's several variants of it I think.
When it comes to Swiss cheese, I for example like Sbrinz, although you need a chainsaw to cut it.

The Emmentaler cheese is produced in Affoltern im Emmental (I think they have several locations, but that's one where you can watch them make it I think).
Affoltern is one of the rare places in Switzerland, with a now defunct railway line. Switzerland actually didn't close many if it's plenty railway lines, but the one going through Affoltern was closed in 2009.
Although closed is a bit exaggerated. There's a historic railway association that has taken over this line, and regularly steams through the hills of the northern Emmental:

1712257188244.png
(Or historical electric trains as well, as seen on the right)

(Yes I know I'm spamming Swiss railway facts for some reason) xD

The Emmentaler cheese is produced in Affoltern im Emmental
I have mentioned this to you befure, I think, but over here in Finland what you call Emmentaler cheese is simply called "Emmental"
6414891802218_kuva1.jpg

So I guess to you it seems like we are eating the region.
eats emmental
mm monch cronch, delicious canton of Bern. The Burgdorf has such a nice texture, om nom. such tasty Emmental-Oberaargau administrative region

This is the official sandwich of New Jersey. The Taylorhameggncheese.
(We don't have time for spaces when we speak in NJ).

ItsTaylorHam.JPG

You got your NJ bagel (but sometimes a its a roll), a fried egg, melted American cheese, a li'l salt, a li'l peppah, and if you're from north Jersey, some Taylor ham. In south Jersey, they [incorrectly] call it pork roll.

See, back in 1856, a guy named John Taylor came up with the recipe for the heavily processed and preserved meat. It was (and still is) very popular in the region. But in 1906, some laws regulating food labels were passed, and they couldn't legally call it "ham" anymore, so it was renamed to "pork roll". But "pork roll" is a generic term, so we northerners still call it Taylor ham.

If you ever visit Jersey, don't leave before you try one.

This is the official sandwich of New Jersey. The Taylorhameggncheese.
(We don't have time for spaces when we speak in NJ).

View attachment 8966

You got your NJ bagel (but sometimes a its a roll), a fried egg, melted American cheese, a li'l salt, a li'l peppah, and if you're from north Jersey, some Taylor ham. In south Jersey, they [incorrectly] call it pork roll.

See, back in 1856, a guy named John Taylor came up with the recipe for the heavily processed and preserved meat. It was (and still is) very popular in the region. But in 1906, some laws regulating food labels were passed, and they couldn't legally call it "ham" anymore, so it was renamed to "pork roll". But "pork roll" is a generic term, so we northerners still call it Taylor ham.

If you ever visit Jersey, don't leave before you try one.
Switch out the ham for some bacon and I'd eat one in a heartbeat!

Reactions: Marius Merganser
geez, it's weird but for a week I've been thinking of 'fun facts about the USA' and can't come up with a thing! maybe it's cause the US is so big, it feels like it'd be too general, too generic, so here's a fun fact about Michigan!

In the Upper Peninsula, that part of the state north of the Mackinaw Bridge, Cornish Pasties are very much a tradition, from the days when miners ate them, much like back across the pond; I have heard that the crusts were like handles, making them easier to eat and offer some protection against contamination form heavy metals

Anytime you visit the UP, you pretty much have to pull over at a stand or little diner, and get some; I pity the fool who misses out when they're up there!

Users who are viewing this thread