Silly Adventure Game

Now you're making me feel old.

Puggsy was one of the earliest home computer games to make use of a physics simulation. It ran like a pig on my Amiga, to the point that it was pretty much unplayable, but its physics were a big deal in its day.
I'm making YOU feel old? I feel like I'm turning grey at this very moment, hehe.

I can imagine the weaker machines chugging under the might of that game, easily one of the more impressive titles of the day. Still play it to this day, I love it!

• Haha
Reactions: Bunny Lvr
I might have to drag out my cheap Chinese android box emulator and see if it's in the library, now :D
Do so! I'm currently listening to the soundtrack as I work!

Also, the earliest prototypes of Puggsy used apples as the placeholder objects for them to demonstrate the game's physics. Apples are the universal placeholder! :D

I do love that you're making what seems (to me anyway) like a much needed evolution on that style of game. Having both hands to use plus an inventory does help ease some of the headaches that games like Puggsy can give you too.

Small update, Minty can now store and retrieve objects in a small six-slot inventory, which also shows what he's holding for convenience (since some objects will be too small to identify in his hands). I've also added a demo of how in-hand object interaction works.

Next up: other characters, and a chat menu interface. Can't decide between a simple vertical list of options and a Mass Effect-style response wheel. The former is better for long sentences and large numbers of options, but the latter is more controller-accessible.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

View: https://youtu.be/az-v3b-Xt8s

I'll say a simple vertical list, have always preferred them whether on PC or console. I'd rather have longer sentances and more options to choose from than from a selection that says "positive" "negative" "tell me more". Fallout 4 was terrible for that, you got 3 or 4 options for what to say at best and the options given to you wern't even what would be said to the NPC, just a basic descriptor of what would be said.

To summarise: Consoles have d-pads, I vote for a list!

Reactions: Bunny Lvr and Faust
One of the things I really hate about Unity's animation system is that it is really difficult to go back and edit things later. Once you've made an animation, changing anything about the character's setup can make things go very strange. For example, I just found out that Minty's sprite sheet was 825 x 825 pixels - an accident that happened when I exported it from the art package I use. Images have to be certain sizes to be compressed, and 825 is a very odd size for an image. It should have been 800 x 800. I rescaled the image and brought it back into Unity and bam... all of my nice rigging disappeared and Minty dissolved into a bunch of tiny parts floating around. Super-weird. I had to restore a backup and manually copy all the rigging data from one image to another, then resize the bones by hand because the image size had changed. He's still not exactly right, but I'm hoping to fix it because the only other option is to redo 20+ animations from scratch.

I've made the difficult decision to redo Minty from scratch.

This is partly due to the recent discovery that changing a sprite's size after designing the skeleton really messes things up, partly so I can add some nice-to-haves, like a view from the back for going through doors and different hand poses, partly so that I can leave space for future enhancements (such as extra facial expressions) and partly so I can fix a couple of minor weird issues, like the way that objects appear to pass through his arm when he holds them. I might also move from black outlines to a more modern style of making outlines a darker version of the base colour of the item they're outlining, which does tend to look better.

He'll look the same in the end, but the sprite sheet will be better optimised and easier to expand in the future. He'll also be in the proper scale, where 1 Unity unit will equal 1 metre.

I'm keeping the old Minty as well so that I can manually copy the animations I already made.

It's annoying and time-consuming, but I think it's important for the longevity of the project to do things right at the beginning. This will also help to improve my graphical workflow going forwards.

Time-consuming, but certainly worth it! Not a bad idea to prepare it all now and avoid potential headaches in the future.

I can't begin to imagine the work needed for the animation skeleton to work, but it does like amazing compared to standard sprite animating judging by what you've shown so far!

I can't begin to imagine the work needed for the animation skeleton to work, but it does like amazing compared to standard sprite animating judging by what you've shown so far!
Most of it works fairly well just on the automatic options, but joints that bend a lot, like the thighs, knees and elbows, tend to need a bit of TLC before they look good.

Here's the proposed Minty with redone line colours. Sorry he's a bit blurry, that's because it's a screenshot from the Unity debugger so I could get the colour scheme the same. It shouldn't be that bad in the final version.

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 12.56.05 pm.png

Small update, Minty's new sprite and animations have now been implemented. He's got a few new facial expressions, plus new 'open palm' hands, a pointing finger, and a two-finger gesture which is actually for playing rock-paper-scissors. I've yet to put in the code that lets his hand pose and facial expression to be set though, so no new videos yet.

Next up: animating Abigail so that he's got somebody to talk to.

Another small update, Abigail has been rigged but not animated yet, so she's kinda just bouncing up and down like a rubber ball, which is a bit disconcerting. Conversations are nearly done though, and I'm using a static intercom unit for development purposes. Need to fine-tune the speech bubbles to stop them from drifting off-screen and being unreadable. I've been slightly delayed because I had to refactor how cutscenes work. Hope to have a new demo video soon.

Holding fire on the next video until I can demo more of the tutorial.

Updates:
  • Better graphics for platforms and backgrounds
  • Shader support for dynamic lighting effects
  • Working doors that you can go through to a different area
  • Doors that can only be opened using key objects
  • Pathfinding that can cover the entire map
  • Automated map generator that creates in-memory node maps for off-screen areas
  • AI walks between nodes on the same platform (current screen only)
  • AI jumps from one platform to another

Currently working on:
  • AI can use doors to go to other screens
  • AI can move around the map even when it's not on-screen

Last edited:
Here's a quick mock-up of the introduction to the tutorial level, testing longer cutscenes and dialog. This entire video is automated, requiring only mouse clicks to advance each line of dialogue.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

View: https://youtu.be/YatsbxEwgHs

Users who are viewing this thread