Unpopular Opinions

Hmmh~ It's probably another dopamine rush thing: if the like and follow numbers go up = short term happiness

Giving a like can be a handy away to express agreement and/or approval when you've got nothing else to contribute that would require a new post. Trying to collect as many likes is possible is a little silly, though I can understand the dopamine rush, it is nice when people like something you say.

Giving a like can be a handy away to express agreement and/or approval when you've got nothing else to contribute that would require a new post. Trying to collect as many likes is possible is a little silly, though I can understand the dopamine rush, it is nice when people like something you say.
I really DID agree with this one. It can be annoying when people extend a thread unnecessarily just to say +1 and offer no other insights, plus it makes the thread as a whole artificially long and harder to read.

Ah poop. Should have just stopped at the 'like'.

Reactions: unknownaspect
Thank you for giving the idea a more positive spin! I guess social media becoming filthy rich made me doubt their decisions beyond money making, but there seems to be an actual use there.

Reactions: unknownaspect
Thank you for giving the idea a more positive spin! I guess social media becoming filthy rich made me doubt their decisions beyond money making, but there seems to be an actual use there.
No worries!

There's certainly going to be some greed involved when it comes to the large social media companies though, I have no doubt there are people out there addicted to likes, follows, subscribers etc, and I have no doubt the behaviour is encouraged for the wrong reasons.

Reactions: Simo
The computer age hasn't made people happier, overall.
Agreed. I know I've benefitted from computers and the internet, but I do know people who have been made worse due to it. It's usually social media, where they begin to compare their lives to those of others, even if those oh so perfect lives that others show is merely a paper-thin exterior they put up to mask their own problems.

Another thing that seems to be a staple of technical progress is the idea that we'll have to work less, but it always ends up being either the same or more. Sufficiency is never considered, I'm guessing. "More can be done within a time frame? Great, then we can increase the amount!"

I never lived on a farm back in the day, but I could imagine that nature would put a limit on ones ambitions and work.

True, I think there's always a fixation on more. People will see tech as a means to make things faster, rather than easier. When something makes a task easier, it just means that you're now capable of working faster. People can quickly get fixated on being fast-paced, especially when we now have the means to do so.

Reactions: Wuff-Wuff
All recreational drugs are bad. This includes nicotine, tobacco, alcohol, and cannabis.

Everything this side of caffeine should be entirely prohibited, and even then caffeine should be regulated so corporations stop shoving it into products where it doesn't belong in the hopes that it will get consumers addicted.

I do not support usage for any purposes such as a means to calm down, control anxiety, control pain, or for any "medical" reasons. There is a multitude of other medical drugs out there which don't alter the state of mind and don't exist to be recreational. If a problem is so bad one needs drugs to treat it, take real drugs not recreational ones.

All recreational drugs are bad. This includes nicotine, tobacco, alcohol, and cannabis.

Everything this side of caffeine should be entirely prohibited, and even then caffeine should be regulated so corporations stop shoving it into products where it doesn't belong in the hopes that it will get consumers addicted.

I do not support usage for any purposes such as a means to calm down, control anxiety, control pain, or for any "medical" reasons. There is a multitude of other medical drugs out there which don't alter the state of mind and don't exist to be recreational. If a problem is so bad one needs drugs to treat it, take real drugs not recreational ones.
I think most of the substanced did originate from medical or religious purposes. I'm not sure if banning them would help necessarily. I think the issue is how it's used these days I think. In general the lack of respect for things (but thats another topic)

I do agree though that not having the option, making it not a normality in society, could save a lot of lives. I just wonder how you would ban a plant or mushroom~ I feel mankind doesn't have the right. But I studied environmentalism (which also helps understand more Robespierre-esque ideas)

Windows 8.1 was one of the best performing and stable versions of all Win versions.

Users who are viewing this thread